or Connect

Posts by JoeTheDestroyer

Cool, I'm eager to hear your results. I feel your pain, I don't have a family, but I do know how much I am getting aggravated about how much time I have put into trying to fix this.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EDID was a good place to start for me.Interesting, I'm trying to get my SC-05 working too. To summarize from the above, the first 128 bytes you are getting (from both devices) is the original data block designed to allow CRT monitors to tell video cards their timings. It contains nothing about audio, and ATSC standard resolutions can be problematic. To correct this, the "CEA EDID Timing Extension" block was created to specify audio...
Out of curiousity, has anybody actually tried it on XP? I know the Microsoft page says it's for >=Vista, but I've known those pages to be wrong before too. If nobody has, I may give it a try this weekend...
Mixed results for me. Using:HTPC w/ Radeon 4350SC-05Westinghouse LVM42W2 LCD Video works, but it appears the SC-05 mangles the EDID as I had to force 1080p60 in the drivers (otherwise display ran at weird resolution and flashed on and off). Autodetect works fine when plugged direct to TV. No go on audio. 2-channel works when plugged straight to TV but I get nothing when plugged to receiver. Not sure what is causing problem, the drivers could have problems w/ me forcing...
I think you've got it exactly!
I didn't examine things too carefully, but I haven't noticed any significant differences from my viewing position. As for audio, hard to say. At the same time I got the player, I switched from a $200 Yamaha HTIB to and $1400 Pioneer Elite. I could go back and do an A/B now, but since I'm bitstreaming lossless from the player and only AC3/DTS from the HTPC it wouldn't be fair. Also, I'm still using the HTIB speakers while I audition and decide on speakers to buy, so it...
It required some tweaking to begin with, but once I got things working, just as you did, I stopped changing things and had few problems. This changed when I added the BR drive and this is what made BR playback so frustrating for me, as I constantly had to update PowerDVD, which often required me to update drivers which often broke other things that would have worked fine otherwise. When I saw the $200 Samsung deal I had to ask myself, is $200 (less since I got the Matrix...
If you had asked me back when the war was won, I would have thought the same thing. However, in mid-October when I bought my stand-alone the situation really hadn't improved much. Yes, they have released updates but they just seem to barely fix current issues and I really saw little progress towards a final, finished, completely working product. I haven't kept up, and maybe a miracle has happened in the last month, but considering it is Cyberlink, I doubt it. On the...
That's nice and all, but it's not clear to me that this is what the OP wants to do. I use my HTPC for most of the stuff you listed (except the movies, I have the storage but haven't found a ripping methodology/toolset that does everything I want yet). Since the OP only mentioned checking on his video card i wondered if he thought BR playback would be as easy as installing the drive and dropping in a disc. I was trying to ask, in the politest way possible, how much...
I think you missed his point. He's not talking about building an HTPC to play BR, just adding that capability to his pre-existing HTPC. His question is, is the cost and effort of adding BR playback to his HTPC worth it? I did add HD-DVD & BR playback to my HTPC because a year ago it was significantly cheaper than combo players were. However, today the time that it takes me to maintain it is worth more than a $200 player.I can't say I agree here, again because we're not...