or Connect

Posts by 93geo

Yes, the engineers, whether they're in t.v. or radio, and even former photogs, are awesome
As of 7pm, both stations are back up on 9.1 (29.1) and 32.1 (24.1)! We're not at 100% power, but the engineers say we have about 90% market coverage. Both stations are also back on Dish Network, but right now only in SD. The Dish HD should be switched on sometime this evening. I'll have more news as it becomes available.
Upon further testing by the tower crews and our engineers, the antenna array itself is not damaged. That's the best news possible! It turns out it's just the transmission lines going up the tower, from the transmitters to the antenna. They're completely fried, but I don't know how or why. The good news: Our engineers think they can re-route the now-dormant transmission lines that fed KTAB's analog antenna to get both stations back on at lower power, much like...
Hello all....this is the first chance I've had to get on here, and I know ya'll have tons of questions. Unfortunately, I don't have very specific answers...I work in the News Dept., and while I'm the stations' primary and most-experienced ENG (Electronic News Gathering) live truck operator, I don't always get the lowdown on the Engineering dept. stuff. From what I understand, here's the problem: While (thankfully) our multimillion-dollar ATSC transmitters are fine,...
I know this is a HUGE inconvenience for ya'll who rely on our ota dtv signals, but I'm not in upper management and don't make those decisions. And yes, this is the middle of May sweeps, but we're already committed to shutting off the analog transmitters on May 12. I wasn't a part of that decision, either. So for the next couple of days, the analog signals are your only hope. As far as the digital antenna array, there are no current plans to remove the old analog...
Hello all, As most of you probably know, the DTV broadcast antenna array for both stations was damaged during a January ice storm. Both stations have been broadcasting at a lower power since then. The necessary parts had to be custom-built, and we just got them this week. However, to repair the array and get back up to full power, BOTH STATIONS DIGITAL TRANSMITTERS WILL BE SHUT OFF AT 8AM WEDNESDAY. Our engineers are planning to be finished by Friday, but it...
Dish tech support probably has no idea that they're currently uplinking our analog-only signals....
Hello all....thanks for all the comments, and I'm glad I can try to help! Here's an email our News Director sent us on Saturday...it doesn't contain any confidential info, so I don't mind sharing: As of now, KRBC's digital, HD signal is available. I'm not sure how far beyond Abilene it reaches but a majority of people in our viewing area will be able to see the Super Bowl in HD. KTAB is still down. They'll try to get it up after the Super Bowl. Engineers think...
And just to clarify, KTAB and KRBC don't actually "share" digital transmitters and antennas. Each station has its own unique transmitter on the ground, and antenna in the air; it's just that each station's equipment is identical, and located right-smack-dab next to each other.
Some longtimers may know that I work at KTAB/KRBC, but I tend to forget to post here...because usually things are going well with our DTV signals! First, for those of you who don't know, or who are just curious, here's how KTAB and KRBC's digital transmitters and antennas are arranged. All of the facilities are located at (and on) KTAB's original transmitter tower site, which was erected in 1979 just off Hwy 36, in western Callahan County. At the base of the tower...