or Connect

Posts by arande2

I haven't read it to avoid my post being influenced by the writing, but consider this. Back around the time of the wax cylinder people were saying they could not tell a difference from real life. I doubt that was true and I also doubt that their ears were much different from ours. The brain seems to be the major factor. Today, it's a similar story. Audio and video still have their limitations. As a hobbyist audio engineer, I've noticed how I hear differently after all the...
I'm asking about what limits the peak voltage a speaker can handle. Crossover - exceeding the voltage ratings of the components will destroy them. Connectors - same as above. Wires - similar to above, possible arcing/breakdown. Speaker leads - arcing. Voice Coil - arcing. Former and Cone - can buckle under too much force. Magnetic Gap - Saturation. Overheating in general... Other stuff I'm not thinking of? So... if you hooked a superamp to a 3" 4-ohm speaker driver and...
Okay, I see. The input drives an opamp and the the clip detection circuit runs from this (gain knobs change the gain of this stage). I'll assume 10v and not worry about measuring. With a 10v input, 16dB gain should get full output if my calcs aren't loopy. Won't even have stuff until mid next week, so can't be sure until then.
Yes. I just realized the clip indicators are probably on the input stage, so I'd measure the input voltage with a standard meter, easier.
I'm changing out some equipment and will have the capacity to drive the input of my EP4000 (driving 18" DIY sub) to +30dBu. I'd like to drive the input harder and back off on the gain since the new equipment preceding the EP4000 in the signal chain has super clean gain, but I don't think the EP4000 has the capacity for a +30dBu input. It would likely clip the input stage. A lot of pro equipment has +24dBu input limits, but it's not specified in the manual. Does someone...
Quoting all of you would just take up space, so I will reference post #. I recommend to the forum scripters that this be made possible (type in #... and have it show up as a hover-over so that the quote shows up when hovered by the mouse) or that someone show me how if it already is. AES #11, 14: Yes, the AES. I am looking into this. I am currently at a junior college, but I will find out if my transfer location has this available. 80hz #11, 14, 15, 16: I appreciate the...
I'm not too sure about my low-freq limits. At super low freqs like 9hz, I feel a pressure on my head and the pressure variations modulate the ambient noise. The frequency at which my sensitivity to a tone-like perception drops off is around 25hz.
At least I'm agreeing with what you say now. ^_^ I've had my thresholds tested and know that I am good to the threshold of 0 phon up to 15khz. I have done measurements on my room many times. If had to guess, I'd think you meant measurements beyond the typical phon and hz; maybe you mean an actual 3D graph of room modes, something to that effect. ... Stuff I agree with, but can't really comment on without paragraphs of writing.
My purpose is to hear for myself these localization phenomena so that I can be certain about my conclusions. I am majoring in Physics (acoustics emphasis when I get to grad school) and Electrical Engineering (Analog Electronics Emphasis) and intending to apply the knowledge I gain towards research and design in the audio realm years in the future. I am sure the studies on localization came to conclusions under a specific context of controls, so my problem is with not...
Referring to the [blahblahblah] in my first post, everything you said falls in that categery. I'm not a newb. Maybe I was too vague. I denounce the studies that led to claims of non-localization of bass. I am looking for ways or places I can go to hear low-frequency drivers of several types in several configurations. For one thing I am interested in the velocity zones of room modes, also scientific publications dealing with psychoacoustics and bass perception,...