or Connect

Posts by batpig

IMO It's tough to go into any AVR purchase these days expecting a 10+ year service life. Not that they can't make it that far, but technology is changing so fast. If you are going for long term investment I'd look into investing in the stuff that will last -- amplifiers, speakers, room acoustics. Then if budget is a factor and you don't need 11 channels get the X4000 instead, use it as a processor and devote the extra $1k to one of the above. Then you don't feel so bad...
Considering all the other channels work properly, you'd have to think it's NOT an issue with the receiver but rather the channel / cable broadcast itself.
Are you getting full 3 yr warranty? If not i would cancel the order and buy new. If you call up jdsmoothie at AVS you can probably get a new unit for close to the same price. If it does come with full warranty you are good to go.
IMO your setup is narrow enough that you may not even need a center channel. It would be one thing if your mains were spread out really wide since the CC helps to keep the sound anchored to the screen for off axis viewers but your mains are flanking the display. If you aren't willing to mount the tv on the wall or get a riser I would just forget about it and enjoy the setup as is.
Yes. The static / distortion in the center channel is the exact issue. Try replaying the same content with output set to stereo with Pro Logic Cinema upmix to 5.1 and it should sound "normal".
The X1000 doesn't have any video processing at all so it wouldn't affect the picture. So, yes, by using the receiver as a switcher it would be impossible to maintain "per source" video calibration settings. If your TV has a "picture mode" or equivalent button on the remote then you could program that as part of the Harmony activity sequence to discretely access the picture mode you want with the given source. Honestly though your suggestion is good if the only device...
There's really no difference between the 3311 or your new X4000 (or any other Denon really) in this respect. It can't control the input signal it receives -- if the source is sending two channel, that's what the receiver gets.Now, you may have had a surround upmix mode (e.g. PLII Cinema) on with the old unit whereas the new one is in Stereo surround mode, which could be why you are only hearing stereo audio. But it's really hard to decode what's happening until you...
this strategy will not work. The moment you manually enable the subwoofer it will shut off Audyssey for all speakers. If you try to turn on Audyssey features it will prompt you to "Run Audyssey". This would happen any time you made a speaker configuration to add a speaker that wasn't calibrated during auto setup. Audyssey essentially is saying, "whoops, you added a speaker, please re run the calibration so I can EQ it".There is no separate full range RCA pre-out to...
Seriously? you have to ask if it's a good idea to block the speaker with a TV? No, it's a horrible idea. If you are planning to put the center behind the TV, don't even bother buying one and just run the RC-70's and let the center "phantom image" from the stereo speakers.If you can wall mount the TV then you can fit a proper sized center. Don't do the RC-70's a disservice by getting a tiny center like CC-5 or RC / V-mini.
The center should be as close of a match as possible to the fronts in order to provide a more seamless soundstage. Otherwise you will notice the mismatch on pans etc. It doesn't HAVE TO be the same brand as long as they have a similar tonality, but for example Klipsch is one of the worst ideas to match with an Energy RC since you are mixing a very bright speaker with a neutral/warm speaker. I would try your best to find an RC-LCR (they can be had cheaper on the used...