or Connect

Posts by Persil

I can't speak to the picture quality aspect as I haven't done a direct comparison. But, a factor to consider when you worry about not having the multiple HBO/Showtime channels is to remember the benefit of Video On Demand. While Comcast may have dropped the multiple linear channels, most of what is circulating on the channels during the month is available on demand, which is of course better because you don't have to wait for the next scheduled playback. Obviously, some...
If it is inevitable that Comcast will start scrambling ALL channels as a result of the recent ruling by the FCC then hopefully that will mean they will be required to introduce a type of DTA that can output HD signals. That would make a new "scramble all" policy an improvement for the many DTA users like yourself who are actually connecting them to HD TVs instead of the old analog TVs they were originally intended for.
Well, that's interesting. In this case he would be combining the single channel output of a DTA (channel 3 or 4) with the raw Comcast cable feed. So, it sounds like he would not cause bad stuff to happen back up the cable to other outlets and/or subscribers. However, if Comcast has reallocated the frequency for channels 3 and 4 to carry digital channels, or if that spectrum is now being used by cable modems then there would be RF energy on those channels being passed in to...
I don't think you want to do that. Unless you put some kind of a filter on the cable input side of your splitter, you're going to be injecting some RF from the DTA back into the cable. Depending on what that frequency has been re-assigned to be used for by Comcast you could end up screwing up some digital channels or your cable modem, maybe even interfere with someone else's service.
The Dec 5 date would only apply to areas that received the letter saying that was the date the analog channels go away. In this case, this applies to the San Carlos/Redwood City and possibly adjoining areas. I don't know what the time-frame would be where you are. In any case, by "going away" I just mean "switching over to a static slate message". Going away for real comes at some later, unknown date.As far as I know, all the analog channels that have been replaced by a...
I got the letter too. Comcast will have no excuse for not giving us the channels we've been missing out on after the December 5th date. Although, I don't know how long they feel obligated to keep up the analog slate telling people to get a digital adapter. Hopefully, as long as they have a slate on the more significant of the analog channels they will feel like they could recycle some of the more obscure analog channels early, or even right away on 12/5. But, I won't hold...
Just plug the cable direct into the TV and see if you can tune an analog channel using the built in TV tuner. But, since that's the same thing that I would have to do, I shouldn't be making you do it instead! I though you might just know the answer.
To save me the trouble of hooking up cable direct to my TV and looking - do you know if the analog channels have been taken down in our area yet? I'm in Redwood Shores - so same chunk of cable as San Carlos. I think they will need to reclaim some of that analog spectrum before we can catch up to the the rest of the bay area in terms of content because there is less available bandwidth on our cable system. Obviously, even if the analog channels no longer carry programming,...
So, has this whole VOD over Tivo thing been resolved now? I have a Tivo Premiere XL4 on its way, so you can imagine how thrilled I was at the prospect of it not working. I've already had my expectations lowered by reading about how unhappy people are on the Tivo forums about the Netflix implementation.
Quoting from the fine print at the bottom of the letter notifying about the analog shutdown:"QAM tuner TVs will continue to receive Limited Basic channels without a digital device."At least that's what it said on a notice in Palo Alto, where the deadline has also come and gone without a change.