or Connect

Posts by pjpoes

I'd like to put together an HTPC that can handle all of my music, control my other gear (Oppo Blueray player, Roku Netflix, Pre/pro, projector, etc), and be controlled remotely by an iPad as my remote. What do I need to do this? I don't need a complete rundown on the HTPC itself, but what devices, if any, are available to allow the IR control for those devices that don't have RS232? What software is available to integrate the IR and RS232 commands in the same ways that...
I know the Apple TV is capable of it, but so are the Roku devices. however, I do not believe it does actually send out a 5.1 signal. I have one of the new apple tv's and I tried hooking it up to my pre/pro to see, I did not get a 5.1 lock. Might have been a setup problem, I didn't fiddle with it much, but I've also not read anything else that suggests that it does. They also seem to imply the Roku's do 1080p, but that isn't true either. They are capable of it, but...
none of that would explain my problem. The Roku I have on the same system works fine, its specific to the Sony. If it was just my connection, then wouldn't the Roku also have this problem? It wasn't like it was reverting to lower HD or best SD. It was the worst available SD compared to the best HD the Roku can stream (720p). My connection is the best standard service Comcast offers, but I've not seen those speeds too often. I think my town's comcast...
ok so now I'm noticing that somewhat randomly, the PS3 will play things back at low SD quality, while the ROKU, on the exact same network, at roughly the exact same time, will play back in full HD. Why would that be? I've always found the Roku to handle my network fluctuations best, offering consistently the best quality with the least amount rebuffering. The PS3 app rebuffers all the time, shows at a substantially lower quality, just seems to be an utter mess in how it...
So I saw enough positive comments, I decided to add my experience, since its not as positive. I own 5 different devices that stream Netflix in HD, and I have both the Ps3 and the Roku hooked up in my theater media room. While I'm sure the response to this will be, why watch netflix on a projection system, I'm sure I'm not the only one. Basically, the netflix through the Roku is sharper, more reliable, and more consistent with HD content than the Sony is. My internet...
I've talked with Dreamvision a bit about this. They are very open about the fact that these are oemed from JVC (thew newest models, the Dream E' was not a JVC or Sony). They have their own firmware to accommodate the features they want, though I heard comments that implied the newest base firmwares from JVC were so good they were doing less to them. They also told me that it was possible to adjust the parameters to get say more brightness and slightly elevated blacks,...
Having been involved in some of the statistical analysis of product longevity data, one project involving a related LED technology, I can tell you that they have not actually tested their life span. Phatlight doesn't likely know, its estimated. The estimates are based on sophisticated statistical models which take into account actual known parameters, which have been measured. This makes the models relatively accurate. For those familiar with statistics, you may also...
The traditional system utilizing dual projectors uses polarized glasses and filters to get each eye seeing the different image. Syncing to shutter glasses is another possibility, but somewhat more difficult to accomplish. You do need identical projectors, but the differences caused by bulb life are not an issue. There are softwares available for computers to accomplish this method of 3D, though I'm uncertain of their functionality with the new Bluray 3D. I would...
It may be a device problem. I run it through a Roku netflix box and have no issues. The Amazon VOD does 5.1 as long as the sound is setup as such. Maybe there are similar settings in your devices? I've not used either, so I really don't know.
Amazon can do surround (5.1 DD), but I think the video is 720. For most people, thats fine, most people are watching on 46" or smaller tv's and probably are sitting too far back from the big ones to notice a difference. For my bedroom setup its perfect. With my projector setup, flaws are more noticeable, Amazon is much better in both SD and HD streams. I wish that quality could be offered using the netflix model. I would switch to that in a heart beat. Vudu is...