or Connect

Posts by ddubb

Thanks again to everyone. I am continuing to research this stuff but it helps a lot to get some answers here. I'm finding answers on my own but your help gives me a little more confidence. This is way better than walking into BB or Radio Shack and playing the tech-knowledge-lotto. So by now the s.o. knows. Ironically, she's slightly more inclined to keep it, while I am inclined to sell.
Thanks to all for responding. regiment1 - so you're saying that if I connect this directly to a set top box (whether satellite or cable) then I still need another tuner between the set top box and the Viewsonic "Multifunction" monitor? I've done some searching for such a product and I can't find one with HDMI output. As far as using a television as a pc monitor - I've been doing that for about ten years. The first nine with a CRT television, a year ago I got my first...
I think I just figured it out. I'm guessing there's no digital tv tuner in this Viewsonic product. So as long as its hooked up to cable/satellite it will work fine as a television; that is, as a generic "display" for the decoded signal. Am I on the right track? Next question: would a digital tuner be necessary for OTA, or would a tuner even make it possible to view OTA?
Disclaimer: if you find ill-researched noob questions annoying please look away! I'll take the rotten tomatoes if I can get a little help quickly! I did a real quick preliminary stab at researching my question but I'm in a pretty serious time crunch and hoping someone can give a quick easy answer. I just made an impulse purchase of a Viewsonic VX2835wm 28" Wide 'Multifunction HD LCD Display' ($430 out the door at Circuit City). On the box it says that it will work as a...
Thanks to everyone who has responded, there's something of value for me in each response. ReneV - I understand what you're saying about not beating myself up over one little feature, if its causing that much grief. But alas, I'm committed to making things work this way, its the core of what I intend to use my system for. hdtv00 - your response actually helps, too. It encourages me to try a few different work-arounds. sharangad - Your info gives me a theory about...
ReneV - do you have any experience with Linux? I'm considering having a custom htpc built. This issue I'm having with the nvidia control panel, is this the sort of thing that is typically mitigated when using Linux? I'm not very knowledgeable with computers in general. So I try to keep my equipment and software adoption about the center of mainstream. That means an HP Media Center pc running Windows XP. I don't know how different it is to use Linux, how much of a...
I found some good posts on dvi detective devices. I'm sure that will go a long way to solving my current issues. I appreciate when the more experienced members here are patient and helpful with us newbies. I was so sure that the issues I was having were caused by and relating specifically to my NVIDIA card and/or the NVIDIA Control Panel, so that's all I did a search on. I try not to start new threads about issues which have already been addressed. Some of us newbies...
I also had just posted a new thread on this. I tried to search the issue before starting a new thread. But I was so convinced that the issue was specific to my video card, so that's what I did the search on. Its an NVIDIA 8500 GT. There's a "NVIDIA Control Panel" where you can manage multiple displays. You can decide if you want two displays to be "Clone" or "Dualview" or "Single Mode" etc. Someone posted a response, informing me of DVI detectors and recommending I...
In a nutshell, I can't always get the NVIDIA Control Panel to show all of the possible "multiple display" options. It seems to depend on what's turned on at the time I boot my computer; or if something gets turned off. I have an HP Media Center PC with XP SP3 and NVIDIA 8500GT. Display 1 is a Samsung 27" hdtv hooked up via VGA 15 pin D-Sub. Display 2 is hooked up via 'DVI-I out' to 'HDMI adapter' to 'HDMI in' on a Onkyo TX-SR605; then HDMI out to Samsung 50"...
shinksma and Bugg77 - thanks. You put my mind at ease. I did try to read tutorials and explanations of what upscaling is all about, but it was hard to know the answer to my very specific question. It helps to know that what I'm getting with SD is about as good as it gets, and that spending even $1k more may not improve things very much at all. Bottom line: I'm over joyed with my system exactly as it is right now, I'll enjoy it for the foreseeable future.