or Connect

Posts by Montekay

I reported him to the state Attorney General's office, after that is when communication became excellent. Once I finally reached him I also had a long talk with him about the importance of communications. It didn't bother me if there were some delay as long as he communicated. It was the not answering calls or e-mail that got be going on him. After I got the thing we were on the phone quite a bit sometimes for an hour+ after working out setup questions just BS'ing......
Like I mentioned in an earlier post a couple pages or so back, there is a difference between bass and bass capacity. Having 10,000 watts on tap for the woofers doesn't mean anything about how the bass will drown out the rest. The key word again is "capacity". Every system has some maximum output and that maximum will always be limited by some weakest link. Most systems that weakest link is the lower octaves. This system's weakest link may or may not be in the upper...
Have you looked at Digirout? http://www.digirout.com/dr1500.html I've been happy with mine but I will say it was a bit of an ordeal getting it. Rick is pretty much a one man show and there was a time (after receiving my down payment) that he wasn't returning phone calls or e-mails to the point I thought I had been scammed but he really came through in the end. When he finally started communicating he kept me up to date pretty well and frequently wrote about some new...
Sounds like they were probably using the CBT45 which is a nice speaker but just too small. It also does the shading attenuation passively which waste a bit of power. I'm a big fan of active in general but especially for array shading. No doubt a top notch horn system can also sound good but yes my personal preference is definitely with big line arrays. Also, just not a fan of box speakers at all, even my bass is dipole and the planned sub-sonic sub is IB.mk
I have to agree on the box speaker comment especially. Constant directive horns can have that uniform dispersion advantage but personally I prefer large CBT arrays to control dispersion. If I were to move into a place having a system like that, the first thing I would do is ditch the pro-audio mains and center and replace them with CBT, ideally open baffle CBT. Actually probably infinite line for the mains (for simplicity) and DSP delayed CBT center. When I finally...
What does subwoofer capacity have to do with calibration? You could have a thousand 18" woofers, one 6" mid and one 1" tweeter and still calibrate it to have a flat response with the bass not being overbearing.mk
I see the following quote in the original post... "It's at a point now where I'm completely happy. I have no desire for more. If anything I'd add more transducers; they were one of the best upgrades." It seems Rob's disease is currently in remission. Sadly, upgradeitis is a progressive disease and such remissions rarely last long. I suspect we'll be seeing those additional transducers soon along with other upgrades:D mk
Well technically it depends on SPL level, our ears do not have a brick wall filter at 20 Hz, the sensitivity is just rolling off really fast. Of course I would also argue that if you can't "feel" below 20 Hz you're also not human, again depending on SPL. Something tells me this system is not lacking in SPL capability below 20 Hz. Nice system!mk
Technically I bought this tool after my theater was mostly done... http://www.digirout.com/dr1500.html With the spindle and inverter plus the dust collector etc I added it ended up a little over $8K. This was about three+ years ago, I think it would add up a little more now probably. Most of the parts cutting for the theater speakers etc were done on my brother's CNC in North Carolina but I figured it would be a nice thing to have in the garage so I got the thing. ...
The "4,000 watts" doesn't really have anything to do with it. Only the volume displacement matters and the less power required to achieve it the better. At 10 Hz the volume displacement requirements are so high that three 15" woofers can't do much unless they have about a +/- foot of excursion. My system uses twenty four 15" woofers in two columns (700 lbs ea) and doesn't have "extreme authority" at 10 Hz. Of course that system is dipole and the same number of 15"...