or Connect

Posts by crispybacon

Spooky, I used to own that projector too and it is one of the finest projectors I have ever owned. I still regret the day I had to move into a smaller dedicated HT room and ditch it due to it's long throw lens. It's not all bad though, I'm using a Yamaha 1200 DPX which is for the money is outstanding (motorised zoom and focus, brilliant short throw, very sharp focus.....)I did the whole 2.2/2.3 gamma thing with the JVC's coderguy, calibrated the hell out of them using a...
Thanks for your input guys! We spent the past week demoing some of the newer budget 1080p projectors in the hope that you guys just possibly maybe could be wrong - but you weren't I must admit that I'm pretty surprised that silicon chip technology hasn't evolved to a point where it's importance outweighs that of a decent lens, I guess those custom optics in the Marantz projectors really count for something beyond numbers on a marketing specification. The JVC's are great...
Hi I recommended the wonderful Marantz 12S4 to a friend years ago and now he is considering upgrading as he is finally reaching the end of his first lamp (shocking I know). His budget is no longer $10000, rather 10% of that - I guess austerity has to bite some day. Anyhow the question is, is it possible to get a better picture from a modern day budget projector for a fraction of the price or has projector technology evolved slowly. A DLP would be his preferred choice...
Thanks for your input CAVX. Yes the Anamorphic lens will be staying, for me personally it's the AV equivalent of crack cocaine. I'd sell the car before I sell the lens.. Right, off to build my new screen and hopefully not screw it up.
Bit of a strange one this.. I've a 10' wide 2.35 screen but fancy a change, I was thinking of building some kind of 2:1 type of screen as I'd like to have a larger 4:3 image (no I don't want to sit closer ) It would still be 10' wide but would now be considerably taller. So I was wondering if I do build this new screen I'd have to implement a 4 way masking system which is not much of a problem, the question is - do I still build a curved screen in order to reduce...
That's a fair point but I bought this unit in 2006 along with a load of other AV gear. The dollar equivalent price was appx $14,000 The TV I bought at the time came with a 5 year warranty and cost around 20% of that price. If a mainstream manufacturer can offer a 5 years parts and labour warranty on a cheap TV surely it would be reasonable to expect at least 5 years worth of support on such a high end item. Hell my fridge has a 5 year parts and labour guarantee and...
Cheers Sanj, I'll enjoy v2 whilst hounding Lexicon for a solution, if I don't have any success I'll sell the Lex and move onto a different brand. This is such a shame as Meridian are excellent with upgrades and I would have expected the same from Lexicon. I guess having a good upgrade experience varies significantly between high end manufacturers. Much obliged.
Thanks Shawn & Sanjay I'll get downloading that updated firmware now. Gents, aside from the EQ facility what other benefits did the upgrade from v2 to v5 bring? Am I right in assuming that I can add an aftermarket EQ solution like an Audyssey which would give me the same additional benefits of a version upgrade? I have a dedicated treated cinema room where are sound engineer friend has moved things around and treated the room with bass traps and foam in places to...
Thank you for your advice, much appreciated. I would upgrade but all of the setups I have heard don't really feel like much of an improvement over my Lex, that's why I really wish to keep this processor for some time yet. I've borrowed an Audyssey from a friend and did feel that the room EQ helped out in the presentation of the sound but it wasn't the big improvement that I was expecting. I'd like to ideally keep the Lex and just upgrade it's hardware and software if...
Hi, Is is possible to upgrade my Lexicon MC12b v1 to the v5? Has anyone had this done? I've done some reading but feel a little confused as I think I first need to hardware upgrade to v2 and then software upgrade to v5. Is this correct and are there any dealers that anyone knows of that could do this? Would it be worth it and a major jump in performance? Cheers