or Connect

Posts by Kelvin1965S

The only thing that I think ought to be highlighted (again) is that when using the Lumagen NLS to stretch a 16:9 image to fill a 2.35:1 screen you will be downscaling the 16:9 image to 1920 x 810. Granted this is the same pixel density that 1:1 pixel mapped/zoomed 2.35:1 is shown at on the same 2.35:1 screen, but worth mentioning anyway I feel.I sometimes watch a concert disc after the 'main feature' on a Saturday night and as I've usually had a glass or two of wine by...
I get where you're coming from Stef2 having fairly recently upgraded my front speakers to MK Sound 150 series. I was just very lucky to pick up a decent Isco II lens secondhand to try out and sell on if I found it didn't add anything...It's about 4 years on now, but I decided to keep it, but I'm not so sure I would if I'd had access to an Eshift projector, but what I would say is don't try one if you don't want to spend the money; just incase.
I simply find that it sounds better to me set this way, I don't notice any localisation either, but I suspect this is because the subs are sealed.The bass just seems to come from the front centre speaker (even when I was using a phantom centre until I recently added the final MP150 that I'd been saving up for; I don't believe in credit, so I had a long wait). I think it helps that I've got pretty decent subs (even if they are DIY) so it helps that they are able to...
I just came across this thread via the REW one, so apologies for the late arrival. All I wanted to say was that the bit I've bolded above may be worth altering: I know it's a kind of defacto standard to put speakers at 80Hz crossover, but I've found it's well worth trying higher settings, especially at the front. While the sub can start to become more localised, so long as the surrounds remain around 80Hz (assuming they are capable) then the surround effect doesn't 'move'...
That's good, so my efforts today weren't entirely in vain (sounds good anyway and all I changed after Audyssey was to raise the crossovers anyway, so nothing irreversible).I've just moved my noisy Beringer NU6000DSP sub amp outside of the room into an understairs cupboard, so no more fan noise in quiet scenes, so I'm ready for a weekend of films now, with everything running spot on.
Damn...I've been using my UMC-1 mic with it pointing up as I thought it should be the same as my Audyssey mic. I only have one calibration file for it so I'm thinking that I may need to point it towards the speaker(s) next time I do some measurements. I'd just run through a batch of left + sub, centre + sub & right + sub measurements having finally go my matching MK MP150 centre speaker (and spent yesterday installing a special TV lift so that the centre can hide behind...
I've recently built a pair of 15" sealed subs in 19" cubed boxes (1" thick double thickness front baffle so internal volume approx 65 litres allowing for the bracing), the drivers are 15" Fi Q series. I use an NU6000DSP for my amplifier.For my basic set up (pre Audyssey) I've applied an LS12 filter with 6dB of boost @ 20Hz on both channels (plus room specific cuts at 50Hz & 81Hz). I then run Audyssey and afterwards added a small boost to give a bit of a house curve...
Turn on one sub at a time and take measurements, then take a measurement with both subs on so you could compare the traces?I think I found that I gained about 4dB when I turn on the second (identical) sub, though my subs aren't equidistant which brings other issues and complications to the '6dB' theoretical headroom gain.
I'm a big fan of using two subs in a more difficult room, but then I had a bit more of an issue to deal with at my MLP. I've also changed from a commercial 12" ported subwoofer to a pair of DIY 15" sealed subs, but IMHO a lot of the response improvement is down to location(s) of the sub. It took a lot of experimenting with REW room sim to see if two subs would be worthwhile within my room limitations (it's not a dedicated room, so some furniture that can't be moved)....
Jeahrens, I know what you mean WRT getting the sound side up to scratch as well: I've sort of come full circle having replaced my HD350 last year with the X35, then progressively replaced my collection of (secondhand) speakers and AV processor/power amps with new MK speakers, new AVR and a pair of DIY 15" subwoofers. I briefly tried a 9.2 set up (front heights and surround backs) but my power amp packed up, so I've dropped back to 7.2 again, though not really missing the...