or Connect

Posts by zuulboy

I've looked at the Spider-Man, Ghostbusters, Taxi Driver and Total Recall (2012) "Mastered in 4K" Blu-rays on my 1080p TV. The only one that really has a notable picture improvement is Ghostbusters, but that could just be because of a better remastering, like Jon S said. You notice maybe a little bit more fine detail on the other three titles but, really, it's not worth a double dip on those especially if you lose all the extras. I don't have a 4K TV so I'm not sure if...
Has anyone tried one of Sony's new "Mastered in 4K" Blu-rays like Ghostbusters, Taxi Driver, Spider-Man or the new Total Recall? I'm using my S570 with a Mitsubishi 1080p TV, and to play the new "Mastered in 4K" titles I have to switch the color from "Auto" to "RGB." Somehow the extra color information encoded on the discs is confusing the player and, if you leave the color on "auto," the picture plays with a very dark grey cast over everything that is not watchable. I...
Has anyone had problems playing the "American Psycho" BD on the BDP-S570? I've had the BD for a while, but last night was the first time I tried to play it on the Sony. No screen will even load and it just says "invalid disc." The disc isn't smudged or scratched at all, and I've tried little adjustments that have worked in the past with other problematic discs (turning off BD-Live, switching to internal memory). Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.
I have my 3600 in my bedroom and have only used Blockbuster On Demand once, but since the streaming options are limited this e-mail I got from Blockbuster today is disappointing: We have some good news and some bad news. The bad news is that, as of 3/31/12, the Blockbuster app will no longer be available on your Samsung BluRay. We are updating our technology platform and will not be able to continue supporting your device. The good news is that you can still stream...
I had no idea a converter like that existed, but I should have known. Thanks for the link in case I need it in the future. For now, I'm sticking with my 570.
I bought the 580 for a few more bells and whistles (Vudu, Internet browser) and was shocked to find that the 580 (and I'm assuming the next Sony 3D model coming out) has dropped the digital optical sound output, which is the connection I need for my receiver. I ended up giving the 580 to a friend and will just do without Vudu on my 570. Between Amazon and CinemaNow and Netflix, you're pretty much covered anyway.
You are absolutely right. I switched that BD Audio Mix--whatever it is--to off and now I get 5.1 channels via optical on those Anchor Bay discs. Thanks!
Quote: Originally Posted by hmunster2 Zuul, you're correct in that the "let me in" is an Anchor Bay, not sure about the "Red". If in fact this is the case, it really is pretty bad that these companies are not supporting the lossy formats-not everybody can upgrade both their video and audio all at once. I just tested my copy of Red, which is distributed by Summit, and I got the full 5.1 channels of regular DTS. Come to think of it, I've only had...
Quote: Originally Posted by hmunster2 Hello, I have an S570 that i have been using for about 8 months without difficulty. I don't have a new receiver, so I am using digital coaxial out to my Yamaha for 5.1 DD and DTS. I hae not had any problem with DTS Master Audio encoded Blu-rays playing as lossy 5.1 DTS, but the last 2 discs that I got from Netflix have been DD 5.1 (the movie "Red", not the spec edition which has DTS), and the movie "Let Me In", which...
I don't have "Rio," but I installed the new update and tried to play "Machete"--a title that you used to have to fiddle with settings to get to play--and it played fine now without turning off BD-Live or switching memory. Thanks, Sony.