or Connect

Posts by brycej@truman.ed

Here's what I do now. I don't have a cable box or a cable dvr. I have my own dvr/dvd player/writer made by Philips or Magnavox (Funai). Then with basic cable, I get a very few hidef channels (right now they have increased the number of hidef channels--but several months later Cable One is going to encrypt everything). I have 3 dvr/dvd writers (as mentioned above) and I suspect they will become bricks. So with a dvd writer, I can record to dvd in lodef. But sometimes...
Already I use mp4 files and mpeg2 and put them on a flash drive and watch some stuff on my blu-ray player that has a USB port. Beside a flash drive, I can also use an external hard drive. And yes, the mpeg2 are very large in size. Typically 4-5 gigs per hour.
So is it "and's" or "or's"? With a Tivo and wired internet connection (or wifi) can I record (and actually keep them) shows on my computer? Do I need capture software? I actually do that now for stuff over the net. So does Tivo have an ethernet port that I can hook up to my computer? Then what next? Capture software? Or another tuner with my computer? With or without a cable card slot to unencrypt? What's the simplest way to do this? Thanks. At least you've got...
All of my channels are about to be encrypted. I have avoided cable boxes and the cable co. dvr. I have a low def dvr. I can play .mp4 or hi-def files on a blu-ray player using a standard dvd or on a flash drive with a usb port. So can I use a cable box or tivo with a way to export files and save them to a standard dvd. What, if any, are the ports on the back to export files? And I would rather not use a computer if possible.
I called Panasonic and Samsung. Even their pig-screen 72 inchers have no cable card slot.. They used to Cable One will rent you a $3 cable card and I guess you might be able to use it with other cable boxes. Everything will go encrypted in Sept. or before. I have 3 dvr/dvd recorders and I guess they will become bricks. We actually record documentaries from dvr to dvd. Looks like that is dead unless I go the computer route. Will Tivo work? I think they have a cable...
I just got a letter from Cable One (Kirksville, Mo though Cable One operates elsewhere) that over next few months, everything will be encrypted. Recently we have seen new stations (hidef) unencrypted. So that is going away. Everything will be encrypted even OTA channels. So I call the cable company and say that I need a box. Or a tv with a cable card slot. The FCC mandates that cable companies will have to sell you a cable card. But so far I have no tvs with a cable...
Yes, it is far from perfect. Perhaps in other threads this has mentioned. Yes, we need a standalone dvd-dvr that is at reasonable price. But it eventually I got some hints that you can play hidef on regular dvds. But you need to play them on some of the newer blu-ray players. So some of us want to record hi-def from camcorder files--most are AVCHD. Some of us want to record hidef .mp4 files. Check the blu-ray players to see if they say they are compatible. So it...
I suspect that they don't want blu-ray burning of TV and movies shown on TV. Piracy. Cable wants to just use their dvrs. So no standalone blu-ray recorders unless you pay $2000. Computer blu-ray recorders you can buy for $100 or less. We don't have standalone hi-def dvrs and dvd recorders together. They do outside the US. I think something is going on or maybe it's consumers who never want to keep anything.
So is this like watching the X-Files? Are content producers and electronics mfrs and cable cos. decided they won't let consumers burn hidef dvds reasonably cheaply? Is this a conspiracy (apparent about piracy)? Blu-ray burners are pretty cheap for computers.
The US one seems to be a little pricey--$3500 to $4k.