or Connect

Posts by rjeffb

Here's my latest tale of woe. So this time Cablevision said "guess you have a bad cablecard. Bring it to the store and we'll swap it." "Really?" I said, "because last time Cablevision said I had to be home and pay for a visit, and the tech didn't even bring the S-card I needed. My tuner won't work with an M-card" Thus assured, I brought my (possibly, but not definitely, defective S-card - there's still the whole "weak signal" on the incoming cable line that could,...
Experimenting with Netflix free 30 day trial right now. Horrible stuttery picture largely fixed by uninstalling Windows 7 stock Silverlight and installing latest version (5). Any comments from the gang on Amazon streaming (included with Prime, $79 a year) versus Netflix ($8 a month)? I am trying out the Netflix app on my Fire to see how that goes; Amazon video seems very smooth and seamless on the Fire. I'm guessing that Netflix has way more shows atleast right now,...
I have a little TrippLite LS606M that is very compact, not much bigger than a surge protector. I've been happy withit (no buzzing sounds or blinking lights) but in truth I haven;t actually tried it under fire, as it were. A direct lightning strike literally fried my beloved Hush PC, requiring a shipment to Germany for repairs ($300 just for the shipping) and I still haven't learned my lesson, because while the TrippLite presumably protects the AC in, the Hush got zapped...
Nah, go ahead and add the toaster too. :-) (Courtesy of The Onion)
Hi Zoodle, I would not put any card into my machine that calls for a 400W PSU (including the ATI 5XXX and 6XXX lines, fan or no fan) with the OEM 250GB hard drives, especially in the stock RAID0. But if you're running an SSD as primary with perhaps one or two internal low-power magnetic drives like the Spinpoints or the WD Greens, you're probably okay. We now have enough experience published here to say there's a good margin of safety. Just forego that USB-powered toaster!
Well, the DS212j was a cute little unit but not my cup of tea. You have to install an installation program on one of your PCs, which then formats your NAS drive and installs Linux and a proprietary Linux-based supervisory program on that drive. Because the O/S is on the same drive (or drives, if RAID) as your data, this has a very dark underbelly: specifically, if the Synology unit goes bad, you're left with drives whose partitions cannot be easily read from. Long timers...
The moral of this story is probably familiar to most here but it bears repeating so you remember to try this in case of a similar problem. The details, however, are bizarre to the point of practically supernatural. As some of you may know, I lost AMC ("Mad Men") about a year ago. First I couldn't record it, then I flat out couldn't watch it. About three weeks ago, I lost ABC. Now a cable channel is one thing, but I'm pretty sure that even Cablevision doesn't have the...
Yep...but I have to pay sales tax on it, and coincidentally - or maybe not so coincidentally - Amazon just dropped the price: and it is on order as we speak!
As I previously alluded to, I do indeed have some brandy-new, brandy-name (PNY) XL memory for sale cheap: four 2 GB modules (total 8GB) for $90 shipped. Or if you want me to throw in a brand-new ATI 4550, make it $120 shipped. Why? Because the company that sold me the defective 4GB module tried to screw me over on the return, first by charging me shipping on returning a defect (and insisting that I return and pay for both modules even though only one was bad), then...
Hi Bob, If I may ask, why the RAID card? Am I incorrect that I see three drives (plus your optical)? In any event, if you're putting 32-bit in you should be fine with the controller, with 64-bit there's a scam going around with manufacturers bait-and-switching Vista drivers that don't work 100%. Also, if you're interested in a RAM upgrade I may be able to help cheap (I'll know in a week or two). Do bear in mind that 32-bit Windows will only see not quite 4GB. That...