or Connect

Posts by rjeffb

NewEgg has a shellshocker, thru tomorrow only, for a Ceton 4-channel DCT for under $200: Edit: damn it's sold out. Hmm, just like that NAS I tried to buy two weeks ago...?
>do you already know which manufacturer and model# NAS box that you desire I'm looking at the Synology DS212, great reviews. NewEgg had it on Shellshocker for $185 but they're sold out. BTW Newegg has a Shellshocker this weekend only for $79 on OEM Windows 7, didn't note what version.
No no, not at all adverse to RAID - I invented JFSA because I could not get more than 2TB under Windows in a RAID 0 or JBOD whether internally to the XL3 or in an external enclosure. But here I'm talking about recorded TV...I suspect it's not the end of the world if last night's rerun of Fawlty Towers got lost. My objective was massive amounts of storage over fault protection, and the Hitachi scheme looks offhand to be the most painless solution. Ironically, JFSA does...
I've decided to turn off automatic update/update notification for Catalyst. After all, we all know to turn off Windows' updating to prevent fubaring our machines. Should be easy enough... ...hmm, here's that pesky notice again. Update, remind me later, web site...where's the option to make it stop? Open Catalyst, go into Options. WTF? Where IS IT? Here's where: on the left-hand side of the CCC window, click on "Information." Sure enough, there's a checkbox for automatic...
The problem with Fit is not/was not their machine, it was their corporate attitude of ignoring an obvious problem. In the case of the Fit, their WAN had a serious issue documented up the wazoo by innumerable owners (including me) - send more than a few megabytes contiguouly and it disconnected. Their response was to publicly deny, deny, deny and on Amazon I took them to task when they responded to my (initially favorable) review by saying I didn't know what I was was...
Wow, I can't wait to run Windows 8 on that with a Blu-Ray! I actually bought one of those now-defunct Fit-PCs (about the same size board with an HDMI output, but around $80) and it's a decent little box running Media Center 2005 (remember that?) on an SSD. I don't record HD it but I suppose it could.
Windows 7 helpfully popped up a message that a new version of CCC was available for my 4550. I now cannot boot into Windows in 1080 but must and boot in low-res mode. Well, off to Acronis I go, I go.
Dang! Now I've got competition for beer in exchange for my 1Gig sticks! I just bought a LaserJet CP1525nw color laser - Staples had it on sale for $225 plus another $50 for my broken Epson - great little printer once you hook it up to a network and go into its web interface and set it up properly (turning off automatic calibration, for starters, so it doesn't wake you up at 3AM). Anyway, it takes a little short 256MB RAM module for upgrades...maybe if I just snap my...
Thanks Ren, about what I figured. 4TB: "However, a newly EFI BIOS only can support this huge capacity" 3TB Seagate: "you can’t use the single drive in one partition" (even after using Seagate's drivers) 3TB Hatachi: you'll need "a newer motherboard with UEFI BIOS" 3TB WD: "Western Digital hard drives with more than 2TB provide an Advanced Host Controller Interface"..."windows 7 users can take full advantage on the HBA to properly recognize the 3TB...
Anybody have any opinions on hatachi's new >>>3 TB