or Connect

Posts by rjeffb

IIRC, the 7600GTL had a harness running to a miniboard that did indeed connect to the front panel. Personally I just use my digital camcorder for capturing analog video (and then feed into the XL3 by either Firewire or, much more practically simply popping the SD card into the XL3 slot since I record everything to digital card) so I had forgotten all about those front panels. I never really did understand exactly how those inputs jived with the digital tuner anyway; I've...
>Will that ati 4550 make a huge difference? The 4550 makes a very significant difference indeed. First, because it's faster (subjectively about twice as fast) and secondly, because it's not hobbled. That means you can play Blu-Rays (which just barely play on a 7600) or upscaled DVDs (if you have TMT or PowerDVD installed) with better picture quality - and indeed "at all," because the 7600 chokes on some of those players through at 1908p through HDMI. You can play an...
I got a good chuckle out of that GTL driver link. As you go through this vast thread one ongoing, well, thread you see is that drivers and fixes to our problems pop up in the darndest places. Indonesian webs sites, Turkish web sites, German web sites. We have had to be most intrepid about finding support (I cannot imagine that most of us would have hung onto these machines for so long without this forum because none of us single-handedly would have had the resources to...
fjk, welcome back! Glad to hear everything is working. Do you use it to record television at all? I have to admit I am totally unfamiliar with how the R.o.I. does its TV signal - do you use that h.263 encoding scheme that the U.K. is now using, and are you able to record it? BTW Jim and our other members of the U.K. contigient, I'm not sure if I saw (probably I missed it) any review of how Windows 7 native support of .263 encoding has helped record British HDTV. Oh and...
Amazing, I log in and see two PMs from different people both wanting my spare 4550. Incredible! I'll sell it for $35 shipped. Lardys, you have dibs because you were the first to post and the first to PM me, but first, I want to clarify something... I see you did an upgrade to Win 7. Did you totally, completely kill the audio driver? Not just uninstall, but when you uninstalled you clicked the box that says "remove this driver" so there's no question that Windows 7...
Yes, it ws the OEM you better know what the hell you're doing 64 bit only one time intall only version. The thing is, I *can* get it working...and then it gradually drifts away from being fully operational. If I run only Media Center and never run TMT or a game or Media Player or probably Flash, I might be able to keep it going indefinitely. And as you well know, 64 bit may run a 32 bit (or maybe even 16 bit) program but it doesn't like a 32 bit driver very much at...
Thanks folks, nice to be back just in time for New Years. I must say, Windows 7 64 just plain sucks when it comes to surround sound, a huge step backwards. I installed a Sewell USB 7.1 card and had even more problems. It's damned frustrating to troubleshoot, too, because surround sound behavior is so counterintuitive. For example: Go into the "SPDIF" properties under Sound, click on Dolby or DTS, click Test, and everything works. Go into Media center setup and...
>Side Note: >Where in the world is rjeffb???? Moses entered the cloud and went up on the mountain. Then Moses disappeared into the cloud as he climbed higher up the mountain. - Exodus 24:18 --------------- I heard God calling. And God said "JEFF, THOU SHALT INSTALLEST WINDOWS SEVEN. AND THOU SHALL NOT RETURNEST TO AVS FORUM, NOR SHALT THOU CONVENE WITH ANOTHER XL3 OWNER, UNTIL THOU HAST DONE MY BIDDING. ALSO, TRY THE ONION RINGS, THEY'RE REALLY...
Welcome Kleh, As Ren pointed out, the GT and GTL are essentially the same card. Actually, there are some significant differences between the GT+NV driver versus the GTL+Sony driver. For example: are you able to get your 1920x1200 video output running at 60Hz without resorting to any hacks described in this forum? That's one of the differences... The only way a remote control program would miss the GTL driver is if it somehow knew about the hook into the XL's BIOS...
I'm embarassed I've never thought of doing that. I can think of multiple times that would have been handy with different equipment. Friggin' brilliant.