or Connect

Posts by VinnyS

ESPN announced this week that it will drop its 3D channel (ESPN 3D) due to the lack of interest. ESPN launched the 3D channel back in 2010 for the FIFA World Cup along with golf and the NBA Finals. But it seems that wasn't enough keep the channel afloat. AT&T U-Verse, one of the launch partners, dropped the channel in August 2011 but said it would come back because of new agreements signed at the beginning of the year. Was it a lack of subscriptions to the channel...
I used to be an HTPC guy and was so fed up with software updates for watching Blu-ray (cyberlink....cough..cough) and I hate Windows. I currently use AppleTVs everywhere in the house as well as an Xbox360 and PS3 and love it. I don't mind having a server with Windows on there, but that's all it is doing. I don't feel like using a mouse and a keyboard and neither does anyone else I know. It used to be a fun project, but I don't have time anymore to start troubleshooting...
I have to agree with you there. I can see the Xb1 being great in a den or living room where your TV is hooked up to a soundbar, not a theater system. I'm not excited about it, but I am curious and look forward to reviewing for the AV functionality aspect of things. I think it can be pretty cool. I will most likely sell both my 360 and PS3 and get both to see which one will make it to the theatre setup.
Gaming consoles have come a long way from the original Atari and Nintendo days. Back then, the sole goal was gaming. At the beginning of this millennium, Sony introduced the Playstation 2, which included a DVD player and changed the way we saw and used the gaming console. Then the Playstation 3 came out with a Blu-ray player. This was necessary as the amount of data needed for the new high-definition games required more room on an optical disc. The introduction of a...
+ 1. Well said.All the best to you both David.
Thanks for pointing that out smurraybhm. The SC-1522K was retailing for roughly $1600. These new Elite models start at $1100 retail. I think we will start seeing more and more class-D3 amplification within the Pioneer line-up.
This was more of an introductory piece to show awareness of Z-wave and it's capabilities. Again, this is a more basic system at a cost effective solution. Anyone who wishes to do more in-depth programming and such, Lutron, Crestron, Control4 systems and more should be considered.
Good question. I have never heard of such a thing. There are usually tampers in each sensor, so if the sensor stops communicating with the panel (for wireless systems), the alarm would go off. If battery is low, you would usually get a message saying so. Wireless sensors have existed for years and have only gotten better with time. Frequencies are in the low end of the spectrum thus travelling much further in distance than in the past.
For the most part no. The Zwave products require no monthly fees. If you decide to go with an alarm panel, some might offer you a central monitoring fee which monitors your system for you and sends the police if their is an alarm. But this is not necessary. With the newer systems on the market, you can receive an SMS and you can quickly view your cameras (if you have some) and see if it's a false alarm, or if you need to contact the authorities immediately.I believe the...
I understand. I am also in the custom industry and have many friends that are both Crestron and Contro4 installers. Both systems are very powerful and offer a multitude of solutions. What I liked about Zwave is that it offers a much more basic and simpler type of automation for anyone wanting to dim a few lights. I personally started off with Z-wave and later added Lutron RadioRa2 system to have more control over the system. Crestron in particular IS very expensive and...