or Connect

Posts by Steve.

I have a conrad - johnson Classic 2 SE and it is a great preamp !!! It was the most dramatic improvement in sound quality of any upgrade I've ever done. It replaced a McCormack RLD 1 which was pretty good in it's own right. I wanted absolute sound quality and compromised convenience because a few sources had variable outs. Ultimately I picked up a YBA DAC with remote for casual listening. It turned out to be a pretty good dac but I needed more inputs. That led me to...
Last year I bought a whole house full of ada equipment , hoping to sell most of it and keep an amp.....I had a 1260 and a 2501 along with some other gear. My intention was to keep the 200w x 2 2501 but even though it was a very good amp I thought my McCormack sounded better plus the fan noise drove me nuts even after replacing the fan with a quieter one. One thing you need to know is that audio design associates gear has the worst resale value I have ever seen with...
I know, I miss my 2140.........
I've been enjoying my M106 for about 6 months now and they still impress me. Within the last month or so I have picked up a NAD m51 DAC, I thought these speakers were special when playing my CDs but some of the 24/96 samplers I've downloaded sound incredible. I am amazed I have attained that level of sound quality in my living room. The best part about that DAC is BluRay concerts and BR audio discs sound great through HDMI when stripping the 24/96 and 24/48k stereo...
Yes what Mike described is the best way. A pair of wireless headphone would work. You want a fixed output if possible so the receiver's main volume won't affect the headphone amp/wireless setup.
The YBA WD202 is a high performance 24 bit/192k upsampling digital to analog converter with high output headphone amp. Also can be used as a remote controlled digital preamp via it's RCA or XLR balanced outputs. Has high quality metal remote that allows you to adjust volume and select digital input. Has AES/EBU. Toslink, Coax, and USB inputs. Also has Coax digital passthrough output and external IR jack. Build quality is exceptional, it is machined from a block of billet...
My first guess would be that the Apple TV is outputting PCM, forcing the receiver into "Stereo". Check the Apple TV to make sure it is outputting Dolby Digital. Make sure there is no compression taking place in the box too. That could account for the large swing in volume, but volumes differ anyway so there may be nothing you can do as far as that goes,
good point....my PSB Platinums were bookmatched and seq. serialed
The 805 is and has been a great speaker ,no doubt but B&W has a strict authorized retailer policy.... so I would be wary of eBay deals. I would also suggest listening to the new Revel M106 speaker. I have owned these for a few months and LOVE them. They also have a matching center and dedicated surrounds in the Performa 3 line. These are the most musically satisfying speakers I have ever owned regardless of size or price, and I have owned many over the last 30+...
I have new M106 and they are serial number 00001 and 00029, so as long as they do match to their reference that's OK.