or Connect

Posts by minivanman

I think this is enough on point to delve a bit deeper. I'm a huge MythTV fan. I'm not a fan of the developers or those that write their tutorials and documentation. It comes across as very arrogant and a kind of "Well, if you don't know, then..." It's definitely turned more than one person off of MythTV in favor of WMC.I muscled through it myself because, like I said, I'm a frugal/cheap SOB, and I refuse to use a Microsoft product. I'm an open-source person, and I've...
Didn't know that. Duly noted.However, I don't see how paying for a service like Schedules Direct defeats the purpose of open-source. SD is a service, not software. I for one, have no problem paying for a service if it's something I value and isn't something I can do myself. That of course should be taken with a grain of salt because I'm one frugal SOB, and I try to do anything I can for as close to free as possible.Of course that's a counter-argument where I have no...
MythTV has two interfaces, the backend and the frontend. The backend is the nightmare to get set up and there's a lot you have to do before you use MythTV. Detailed instructions are in the link below. http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/User_Manual:Detailed_configuration_Backend MythTV can be highly customized (as with just about anything in Linux), but with that flexibility comes complexity. The link above isn't very intuitive either, so I'll try and help out a bit. All the...
Start over!!!! You're confusing yourself. XBMCbuntu and Mythbuntu, etc are all Ubuntu with XFCE desktop loaded then XBMC, MythTV, etc loaded on top of that. Because you're new, you should download Xubuntu. http://xubuntu.org/getxubuntu/ and load that on your system. It's Ubuntu with XFCE desktop. It's a full featured desktop operating system. Then you can load and unload, tweak, and mess around with whatever you like. You'll get familiar with how Linux/Ubuntu does...
I'll try and answer both poster's questions. Assuming we're talking Linux, then onboard graphics are not suggested. Onboard GPUs are limited to AMD and Intel. AMD has powerful onboard graphics, but their drivers suck for Linux. Intel drivers are okay, but the GPUs are pretty weak and still have some work to be done before they're fully integrated with all the software options out there. So, the safest suggestion is to always use a Nvidia discrete graphics card. ...
I was doing okay with Intel HD graphics (wasn't even 3000/4000, just standard HD graphics) on my G2020 CPU and OTA HDTV after a lot of tweaking. It was "okay". Not good enough to keep me from going out and buying an Nvidia card. The biggest problem was I did have issues with OTA HDTV, and some cable channels I got stuttering. I was able to configure MythTV to kind of compromise on all of them, but had to turn acceleration completely off. VLC was a nightmare and...
There's some tweaking necessary to get video working well in Linux. Linux Mint is no different. I agree that your best bet is to just use the Nvidia 660 with the proprietary drivers. The Nouveau drivers can give you fits, but Nvidia proprietary drivers are actually pretty damn good. As much as I'd like to be an AMD fan, their graphics drivers just suck in Linux. The Intel driver needs some tweaking to get right. Yeah, it'll play 1080p, but it can be a bit of a...
I'm heavily invested into MythTV, and I'm always looking at ways to make the frontends smaller and cheaper. I'm always looking at ways to integrate MythTV better with my needs. Here's what I found. If Live TV and recording playback is your primary focus, stick with MythTV for both your backend and frontends. XBMC is slick, but MythTV does it really well also, plus it handles your live TV and recordings. Then you're not fumbling with multiple interfaces. Comcast in...
Try rerunning a channel scan. You'll have to go back into mythtv-setup. I forget how to get there in Mythbuntu if it's any different than running "mythtv-setup" from a terminal. From the error log I'm seeing that the channel you're trying to access is being flagged as encrypted. Sounds like something changed on your cable provider's end. So, rerun a channel scan, then do a mythfilldatabase. See if that helps.
I've played with Pipelight on several different pieces of hardware, from AMD CPU's, APU's, Nvidia graphics, and now an Intel G2030 with integrated graphics. The G2030 is the weakest of them all, and it plays the best.I'm using Arch Linux, so I pretty much stay bleeding edge on updates. I say this because I've noticed the Pipelight config file (~/.config/pipelight) is dramatically different than when I first started playing with it during initial release. Shows me...