or Connect

Posts by minivanman

The AMD stigma will live long with Linux. If you said this a year ago, I would have 100% agreed. However, in the last year or so, AMD has FINALLY stepped up their game. They're drivers are leaps and bounds better than before, and graphics acceleration is available even in MythTV. Even MythTV has admitted the improvements and they're page has ALWAYS had the "stay away from AMD/ATI" statements. That's what makes the new AMD APUs so appealing. Awesome GPU to CPU ratio...
Browsing is going to be tough. Flash based browsing will be hard on the CPU, and I doubt you'll get Netflix working at all with the Pi.I haven't streamed with my Pi. I just load the movies I want onto the SD card, which I pull over the network then play them natively. Works perfectly that way.They've been talking about that for years. Not holding my breath.Anyway, the problem isn't necessarily Silverlight. It's DRM. Like was mentioned before, you can run Netflix on...
The problem with MythTV is that you need a backend server in order to record your programs. The Raspi just lacks processing power. As a frontend you might be fine, but you still need the backend. So, if the Raspi could be used at all, it would be relegated to frontend duty only. You would need hardware acceleration to get good 1080 playback, and MythTV is pretty much limited to Nvidia, ATI/AMD, and Intel for graphic hardware acceleration. Not saying it can't be done,...
RasPi is not really sufficient for what you want to do. I have a RasPi as well, and it's pretty much relegated to minivan duty with XBMC. Running a backend and a frontend with a RasPi will most likely crawl, if it works at all. Here's what I use my RasPi for.Yes, each kid gets their own 22" monitor. They were refurbs so the wife didn't have too much of a stroke. Something you DON'T say to me. "Honey, the old portable DVD player doesn't work and the kids will want to...
Chrome works great in Linux. You also have Chromium which is the open source variant of Chrome. Chrome is my preferred browser. Amazon Prime and Hulu all work with no issues. Crackle is another that works just fine. Honestly, the real issue about streaming in Linux revolved around Netflix. Netflix uses Silverlight to run it, and therefore is not compatible with Linux because for some reason Microsoft doesn't want to support open source That subsequently led to a...
I'm happy with Pipelight so far. It's streamlined my Myth build quite a bit. I was running Netflix via a virtual machine (never got good results with the Wine based Netflix-Desktop).I'm running it on two machines right now, my main desktop with Mint 13 on it, and my HTPC with ArchLinux and MythTV installed.I boot up directly to MythTV, my menu is "Media Library" (which submenus to my TV recordings, and my archived media/movies), "Netflix" (which just accesses Firefox and...
Instead of creating a new thread on this, I thought I'd tag onto this one. Pipelight is the new answer to Netflix on Linux. http://fds-team.de/cms/articles/2013-08/pipelight-using-silverlight-in-linux-browsers.html It's the real deal so far. I've loaded it onto two boxes so far, a Linux Mint and ArchLinux build. I've gotten it working well with both Firefox, Chrome and Chromium. I didn't like Netflix-Desktop. I had problems with choppy video, and the browser was...
Gonna need some Linux brains on this one. I'm out of ideas. Going to be long, but I've done a lot of troubleshooting to come to the conclusion I've come to. I run several MythTV frontends tied to one backend. The backend is built on ArchLinux, the Frontends are a mishmosh of Mint, Kubuntu, Xubuntu. So, I'm trying to reconfigure the entire setup, build a new frontend/backend machine, ditch the ArchLinux (due to complexity). I built up a test machine with Xubuntu and...
What distribution are you using?? I'm running into exactly what you're talking about with current releases of Ubuntu, Xubuntu with MythTV, and Mythbuntu to be exact (12.xx releases). Where I've never had a problem with a Nvidia card before, using VDPAU acceleration, I'm now getting the same line you're talking about. This is with a GT440 card, a decent midrange card. For giggles, I threw in an ATI 6450 card, loaded the drivers, and applied the Intel acceleration...
It works. Playback is choppy, as reported by many others. Two computers, choppy playback, and neither computer is a slouch. I'd still call the thing in the "alpha" stage. So, I'm definitely looking forward to further development. I'd love to ditch my virtual machine, it's the last thing tying me to Windows. I've always noticed choppy video playback on Linux when using Firefox. I moved to Chrome, and much better. Granted that issue revolved around Flash. So, I'm...