or Connect

Posts by minivanman

Thanks a bunch.Just ordered the Clearstream 5 from Amazon ($79.00) which still seems quite reasonable to me.I'll come back and report either a success or lack thereof.
Quick question for the OTA guys in Chicago. I'm out in Lockport, and as most have, I have an issue with Channel 2 (WBBM). Heavily pixelated, and basically unwatchable. Every other channel comes in great (sometimes an issue with WPWR (Channel 50) out in Gary. I'm assuming, and it's a pretty educated assumption that since I cheaped out on the antenna, that that is my issue. So before I fork out the cash for a new antenna, I wanted to run it by some of you just to make...
Not an optimal solution, but you can always tie MPlayer into your XBMC menu. Getting the native player to work in XBMC would be the more seamless solution, but there's a way around everything if necessary. It's why I love Linux. That's what I did with MythTV. I prefer VLC over the native player in MythTV, so I just configured the menu to open VLC instead. It's not as seamless as using the native player, but it keeps my wife from having to jump around menus and GUIs...
The 8400 might struggle with HD content. Do you have VDPAU installed and enabled? VDPAU is Nvidia's gpu acceleration software. I'd try that first. Go to a lighter distro like Xubuntu or Lubuntu. Upgrade to a GT 520, they're cheap.
I was a bass player in a band, and we decided we wanted to have keyboards to expand our cover song playlists.This was the first song I tackled because I loved the keyboard parts.
The "story" that popped into my mind, (or rather made up), is an Intel engineer playing with his new Raspberry Pi in his cubicle and when asked about it by his boss replies, "It's a Raspberry Pi, look how small it is", and then management having a fit, and creating a similar product for 10 times the price.There are some definite applications for these new small form computers coming out. I'm still waiting on my Raspberry Pi, but that's already slotted to my 5 year old son...
Not exactly. I have Windows XP installed on a virtual machine using VirtualBox. I then run Netflix through the Virtual Machine. Definitely not optimal as in order to do it, you need quite a bit of RAM to get it running smoothly.With MythTV I just created a button on my main menu that says "Netflix" and it opens up the Virtual Machine GUI. I just hit enter on the keyboard and XP loads from it's previously saved state which is always on Netflix. It's actually pretty...
My Myth boxes are an angry response to the Cable companies, Microsoft, Netflix, Tivo, etc. In other words, I'm just an angry little man. Seriously though, I'm not sure the Myth boxes are the most efficient, or cheapest way to do things, but I kind of live for this sort of stuff. Comcast pissed me off, so I looked for a way to ditch them. I now just go with OTA transmission in HD. I have an antenna in my attic, and I'm about 30 miles (straight line) from the main...
I need to append a statement about Flash. I'm an avid Firefox user, but due to the recent developments with Adobe and it's future support of Google Chrome, I thought I'd give Chrome a try for the Flash based games I was talking about. MASSIVE difference in Flash quality between Firefox and Chrome. Chrome is mounds better, at least so far. Only tested on my desktop, which is an AMD Phenom quad core with ATI 5670 graphics card.
I've built a few actually. I went for full Myth boxes (MythTV), so my video demands were a bit higher. I've got 4 Linux machines in my house right now. Two are running MythTV, via ArchLinux. Mine uses Linux Mint, and my wife uses Kubuntu. 3 AMD processors, and one Intel. 2 AMD video cards, and 2 NVidia cards. So, here's my 2 cents. ATI/AMD video acceleration via VA-API has come a long way in the last year or so. However, video acceleration for NVidia via VDPAU is...