or Connect

Posts by dfp

We began using our CC to watch old B&W movies, and it was months before I remembered to tune in the HDMI port which had never been used. Once I dialed in settings similar to those for my calibrated HDMI port, PQ increased tremendously. Modern day video now looks perfect and even old B&W movies look way better. Our set is six years old, and the default settings were pretty bad in those days.
I have a 32F5000 in the bedroom, and am extremely happy with it. The picture is gorgeous, and the sound is good, too. The set also looks sharp even when off... it's so thin and minimalist in design, it seems to disappear on the dresser.Although I know how to calibrate a TV, I am pretty much using is as it came out of the box in Movie mode. There is minor clouding on an all black screen (only). I minimized this by lowering the backlight to 16, and by having the cablebox...
Since you're experiencing occasional glitches with the cablebox set to 1080i, it's not that the TV is having a problem syncing to different native signals. I think the problem is the cablebox or cable network. I'd exchange the box.There is another possibility. Two years ago, we could get all channels perfectly except TNTHD. Comcast came out and the guy tested the HDDVR, but said it was OK. The problem was something in the signal. So he worked out from the box,...
I had my DVR set to record TD at 3AM Monday morning because we were recording two other shows during the Sunday prime time and watching another show we had recorded days ago. Sometime between 9:30-10:30, while TD was being shown for the first time Sunday evening, as we watched, the TV screen froze, the DVR flashed 88888 and blinked other lights on and off, and shut down. We did our normal response, nothing, while the DVR blinked a light here or there, then flashed dU1,...
I have a 32F5000, not a F5500, but here are a few ideas. Try unplugging the cablebox and the TV from the power outlet for a minute or so. Make sure your HDMI cable is firmly plugged into the cablebox and the TV, and that the power cord is firmly plugged into the back of the TV. If these things don't help, replace the cablebox before replacing the TV. Finally, try a new HDMI cable.Glance at your contrast and brightness settings to see if they are reasonable, and try...
Wanted to mention a reason I don't notice clouding while watching TV is that I set up my cablebox to always output 1080i. This allows for faster channel switching between 480i, 720p, and 1080i channels, and also freezes the last frame on the screen while switching to another channel. So the screen is never black when changing channels, minimizing clouding.
Check my post above yours.... you may have missed it when typing. The reason to get the F5000 is that it's so thin. It looks great even when off.
I've had a UN32F5000 (with a samsung panel) for several months. It's in a bedroom and only used to watch cable TV late night shows at bedtime and news stations while getting up in the morning. The picture is absolutely gorgeous.However, I notice uniformity problems when the screen goes black during start up or shutdown... never while watching TV. Not even in fadeouts to commercials. I'm sure I could probably minimize it by lowering the backlight or other settings,...
I wonder how many Chromecasts are sitting in drawers because others have missed this. I was a novice last fall (still am), but I don't think the website was clear on this then. I just checked and they mention it, but don't make it crystal clear like amesdp did.
Wow, Thank You! You had to hit me over the head with it, but thanks for not giving up on me. I just dragged out my 5 year old laptop running Vista, and cast a You Tube video from the player and it worked flawlessly. I even tried going to other tabs to do email, etc. and that didn't drag down performance at all.Last fall, when I got the Chromecast, I set up the iPad and all was well. Then I downloaded Chrome to my laptop but didn't notice the Cast icon in the player......