or Connect

Posts by Heinrich S

Can anyone explain why Yamaha receivers perform so poorly on the test bench when all channels are used? I thought receivers were designed according to FTC regulation, so they should be robust enough to handle ACD testing. But if you take a look at some of the mid-range Yamaha models, the power is a fraction of what you find in a similarly priced Onkyo/Denon/Marantz.
Why is that? If more headroom, then the amplifier is working less hard at higher levels. So less stress, lower distortion and cleaner sound? That's my thinking.
Sorry, please explain what you mean by the above. Especially the bold part.
But then why do Class A amplifiers exist if they are such a compromise? Why do manufacturers charge huge premiums for designs that are compromised as you say? That doesn't make sense to me.But a good power supply is essential in the design of the amplifier. Correct? An AVR tries to be a jack of all trades and a master of none. So it's power supply design will be compromised compared to a dedicated power amp that cuts fewer corners?
I have a question on class a amps. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as the ability for the amp to control the speaker, is it not the ability of a beefier class ab amp to stay in class a for longer than a slimmer avr? My understanding might be wrong, but in class a the amp has more instantaneous power and control over the speaker?
Is it possible the CM8 just has a flatter in-room response compared to the 602 s3's, and this flatter sound is not something that I like? Perhaps I'm just too used to the 602 s3, and the warm sound?
At my holiday home I've got B&W... 602 S3 fronts, 601 S3 surrounds, LCR60 S3 center, Energy VSW10 sub, all running off a Pioneer VSX-820-K... punchy, warm, and it's made music come alive for me. I upgraded my speakers to the CM8 recently, same location and this is where the problem comes in... they feel flat to me in stereo mode.. They're more neutral and transparent, yes - they can really highlight a bad song, they can make electric guitars wail in ways that make my hair...
Is it true that amps can't drive all speakers equally in a multichannel system because each channel has different spectral content? So the dynamic range and signal level will be different, so having equal power per channel isn't absolutely necessary?
Please correct me if I'm wrong here. So you have 5.1 or 7.1 channels of information in a movie soundtrack. If I have a power amp that delivers 100W into the front two channels and another that delivers 70W into the remaining 3 channels, then conventional wisdom would say that each speaker is not being driven equally. That got me thinking, so please correct if I'm wrong here. The spectral content in the center speaker will not be the same as in the front channels? So the...
So for how many years have we been able to copy digitally bit for bit copies of music? More than 15 years?