or Connect

Posts by fcwilt

With Sonos it is typical to just install one Connect:Amp per pair of speakers thus giving you control over the volume for each set of speakers.Having to get up and go to the wall to adjust the volume for each pair of speakers tends to conflict with being able to control the Sonos from your tablet, cell phone, etc.What you can do is start small and use one Connect:Amp to drive multiple pairs of speakers (with the correct wiring in the utility area) and live with NOT being...
Assuming you are installing pairs of speakers (for stereo) in each location run the wiring for each pair to a central location - I have a section of a utility room set aside for whole house wiring, electronics, etc. By doing this you can configure the system as you desire. I prefer having control over each area - someone might be working in the Kitchen while someone is reading in the Living Room and you might want to be able to shutoff the music in the Living...
JFYI this thread started in 2008 so I doubt the OP is still interested in this discontinued product.
This interface - is it the CoolMaster 4000M? If so that is a lot of money for something so simple - yes there are NRE costs but still - $2000? But if I understand the information on the website regards the AG-150 it appears that it would also provide the ability to monitor/control the system remotely. In either case you would still need a program to allow the Elan system to interface with it. Bugs that occur during normal operation with such drastic results are not...
It would have been nice if the new Hunter units were backwards compatible with the old units - but I guess they are not. That AG-150 (at least the one I found) doesn't look much like it's for use in a home. If it's a product line aimed at businesses I'm not surprised the Elan doesn't support it. The AG-150 web site page does say it supports a form of remote control. That's good. But you would have to write a conversion program and then have something for the program...
My Hunter unit is an ICC-800 which was chosen at the time because it was supported - it's been discontinued - makes me wonder if it's replacement is compatible? I have a set of spares so I guess I'm good for now.What model of Vantage do you have?To integrate my Lennox HVAC gear I had to replace all of the thermostats with RCS units that were supported and could be retro-fitted.I've never had a system crash the caused the programming to be lost. Is your system on a UPS?
Well just so you know what can be done with a Elan G! system mine is configured for:Irrigation (Hunter), Security System (ELK), Security Cameras (Axis), HVAC System (Lennox - 4 systems - 8 zones), Lighting control (UPB - 50 some devices), A/V gear (4 zones) and a number of misc items (Garage Door control, Towel Warmers, Steam Shower, Whole House Water Shutoff, etc).It includes two 7" Touch Screens, four HR2 remotes, several Tablets - and it all works day after day just...
That AC 1600 unit will allow you to provide a wired network connection to 4 rooms since the unit includes a 4 port switch. You need one port per room (in your case where you only have one CATx cable per room). You can expand the capabilities of that router by adding a switch. For example an 8 port switch would expand the system from 4 rooms to 10 rooms. Why only 10 and not 12? Because a cable would be needed to connect the new switch to the existing router, which would...
The Yamaha unit should say somewhere in the specs what the minimum load (in ohms) that the unit will drive for each channel - the front might be different from the back so you need to check carefully. Then you need to be sure that that speakers you are using meet this requirement. Lets say, just for example, that the rear channels of the unit will drive speakers as low as 4 ohms AND all of the speakers that you wish to use on the rear channels (including the existing...
But the integration into a cohesive system is one of the primary benefits.Yes you can use a handful of standalone apps to control this and that but you have no integration.For many of us it's well worth it.And having to add some sort of hardware or software to give a device the ability to be integrated is the norm and not a big deal. It's certainly a drop in the bucket money wise.Many manufacturers make a line of equipment that is intended to be integrated so you can take...