or Connect

Posts by Mark the Red

Well, I just tried out the Skype app on the s790. And let me say in no uncertain terms that is probably the worst POS app ever made by a man. Constant dropoffs, freezing, horrible interface, etc. In fact, I'll throw down a gauntlet and challenge any reader of this thread to show me a worse app / software program than the Skype app on the s790, I'll eat my hat. Really.
I'll take plastic over metal anyday with home electronics. My drive is whisper quiet and I have not had any issues whatsoever with this player. My family (children too) uses it daily. Rock solid.
I went in expecting the worst (i.e., some ADHD focus grouped schlockfest) and was amazed at how good it was. Pacing? Strong characterization? Tension? What are these doing in a AAA Hollywood blockbuster anyway?!?! Didnt they miss the meeting where all new movies are tailored to appease immature Chinese audiences who would only watch an awesome show like Game of Thrones with advertisements like this: No doubt Brad Pitt is at Hollywood re-education camp. ...
In defense of the current Richlands, I put together a slick little htpc just the other day using a 6800k A-10 Richland and this motherboard Gigabyte F2a85xn for around $250. THe motherboard has awesome built in features (WiFi / bluetooth) and I used a Fractal node case to have a nice (3) HDD setup. Two 3tb for a storage raid and a SSD for OS / apps. Whole thing is a kickass PC that generates very little heat. I bet you can do the same with old Intel stuff Assassin...
I use a tube amp / DAC for my headphones / PC. Solid state for all my other gear. I can definitely hear a slight difference, but I liken that to the fact that my headphones are just a better audio experience overall. The only reason I went with a tube amp for my headphones was the cost. An external usb / DAC / tube headphone amp for my PC that has line outs for my PC speakers for $130 shipped? Sign me up. I'll drink that oh so good tube kool-aid!
Not to go off topic, but I've never had any reliability issues with numerous products of theirs. In fact, their phones are the most bomb proof ones me and my family have owned over the years.
Streaming is fine for me. I routinely run 10+ GB movie files to my s790 via ethernet no problem. Before I was running on LAN, I used wireless with no problems either (although I switched so I could stream 1080p BD files). I tried a sample run of Hulu+ and never had any problems either. I routinely run the Berliner Philharmoniker app and my video is flawless with nary a lag. My speedtest is 25 MB/s down and 22 MB /s up. I do not use a thumbstick on my player. ...
Here is the custom firmware these guys made for me for my rt-n66u:(post #6) http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=9534 This is not an official Asus firmware so don't expect any updates. I"m waiting for the peeps over on smallnetbuilder (i.e., Merlin) to iron out the wrinkles of Broadcoms latest firmware / wireless driver before I take a stab at patching the latest firmware. The custom firmware I linked to works great for me. YMMV. Good luck.
I can attest that it works swimmingly with mkv files. Great player. I turned on the Billabong channel and days fell off the calendar as I stared at bikini models.....
Sigh. Have we all forgotten the ridiculous hype campaign that surrounded the PS3's release? Lets actually wait and see what the ACTUAL product provides us before we get too excited. Sony has played us all for fools many times before. And I'm not sure what kind of return Sony gets on this hype campaign anyway. They'd probably just be better off working on getting exclusive rights to 'Madden 2014 - 2020' or 'COD Modern Warfare: Kill the Hopelessly Underarmed Brown...