or Connect

Posts by doswonk1

Interesting problem, DigaDo.....I haven't encountered it. I got my first hi-fi VCR in 1993 for the express purpose of time-shifting FM radio. As a bonus, I realized I could get televised operas and concerts, too (when PBS cares to run them), in good stereo sound. I never had trouble recording audio only with Mitsu, JVC, Panasonic, and GE VCRs. I plug the VCR into the tape loop of the receiver with the audio feed from the rec'r going to the VCR's "L1" input; in the absence...
Church AV: I read ya. Most people aren't "archivists"--when the technology changes, they move on--and the VCR was clearly on the downward slope of the product life cycle. The digital switchover just applied the coup de grace. If some electronix company wanted to mop up the remaining market, I suppose they could release a tunerless VCR, just like a lot of current DVDRs, but the market probably just isn't there. Plus, people seemed to have enough trouble programming a VCR (I...
The VCR ship has well and truly sailed; if you still need one, you're looking at NOS, used, or a DVD/VCR combo unit. As of this noon, neither JVC nor Mitsu lists a D-VHS as a current offering; Mitsu appears to have dropped them after the 2005 model year. Back in 2003, it dawned on me that the VCR was about to go the way of all technology, and I picked up my Mitsu HS-U780 and a JVC as backups to allow me to continue playing my legacy software, so to speak (and grabbed...
Huh. I recorded *tons* of T-180 tapes between ca. 1997 and...well, now (I still use the VCR to time-shift radio). I never saw any difference in performance from T-120s; maybe I was just lucky. The only downside was that I ended up with about 150 tapes of mixed audio and video time-shift and "keeper" material that I had to dub to DVD. I was/am using a Mitsubishi HS-U560 (ca. 1998) and an HS-U780 (ca. 2003). I kind of miss the relative simplicity of the VCR days, when the...
We kind of touched on this in another thread, and it got me thinking. I'm trying to avoid putting any unnecessary strain on the HDD of my Panny DMR-E85 in order to preserve it as long as possible. Eventually, any HDD will fail, but I'd rather put that day off as long as possible. My machine has the TVGOS EPG; it works quite well here (central Iowa), and while I don't use it much to schedule recordings, I find it handy for checking if/when shows are going to be on. To...
Yep, Wally World's website lists 'em as available at most of the stores in my area, which I haven't seen in a long time. Plenty of offerings at Amazon itself, though for some weird reason, if you drill down through links and get to a list of Philips DVDRs, it's not listed, but if I search specifically for "DVDR3575" it pops up. I guess the container ship finally arrived from China to replenish the pipeline!
Ditto. I haven't had any problems with the reburb gear I've purchased. I suspect "refurb" often means, "somebody bought it, couldn't read and follow instructions, and returned to original seller." I hope this holds true on the Panny EZ27 I sniped, er, won yesterday on eBay..... Lawrence
Yes, the beauty of the E85 is that, unlike our old VCRs, it will start--uh, I mean it's supposed to start--recording a scheduled event regardless of whether the machine is powered on or powered off. I have used the simple solution of leaving it on to be sure I don't miss an event, but I don't like to do that because it puts more mileage on the HDD. Sure, it will go into "HDD Sleep" mode eventually (and I think the user can even set the time interval before it does),...
My DMR-E85 (purchased 6/2004) periodically blows off a recording, and I've never totally isolated the reason. First coupla times it happened, I figured it was pilot error. I musta set up something incorrectly. Then I thought it was the EPG, so I set all events manually, like a VCR. Nope. It whoopsed a whole bunch of recordings the weekend we went off Daylight Savings Time, so I set the clock manually. No dice. I use an indoor antenna that has to be reoriented for some...
I'm inclined to hope that the difference between the '07 and '08 models is that the bugs introduced in the '07s have been fixed in the '08s. First-gen ATSC tuner units--not just the Pannies--seem to have a lot of unresolved problems, as if they were rushed to market on short notice. (But why? the digital switchover has been in the works for a long time.) Anyway, the current Panny lineup seems like weak tea indeed compared to my 2004-vintage E85.....