or Connect

Posts by doswonk1

Having the message land in the pile in your In Box and having the time to read it and do something about it are very different things for the modern-day Bob Cratchit toiling in the cubicle farms of Big Giant Jumbo Corp. To quote a crotchety old editor that I used to work for: "Customers and employees are DEAD LAST on the list of priorities at American corporations." Not saying W*M won't pick up the follow-on to the 513/515 if Funai makes one. But if they do, it'll probably...
Here's what I'm pulling from OTA these days: Lawrence Welk for my parents Almost any opera, real classical concert, ballet, and British mini-series on PBS The Good Wife Once Upon a Time Desperate Housewives Batman from ME-TV (because it's still NA on home video) I did Chuck from the very beginning, but of course, the series wrapped up earlier this year. Plus, with DH ending this year, I'm thinking of adding something new to the rotation. Maybe that one with Tom Selleck...
As they used to say in the Early Days of the Internet, ROTFL!! I don't have a lot of components hooked up via HDMI right now ("only" 2 inputs on the main TV), but when I fire them up, I'm always wondering if today will be the day the TV says, "Sorry pal, don't know ya!"
At best a boilerplate reply. At worst, it's sent by some kind of auto-bot. Don't think it means anything.
Well, it is a point to keep in mind when picking up a cheap, commodity DVD player for non-critical viewing. I mostly use a sweet little Pioneer for that.....which fortunately has a different remote code from my Pio DVDR. I usually have only 1 Phil-Mag in the main stack, so no problem there. My Panny DVDR and Blu-ray player would interfere with each other but fortunately, they have the alternate code option. Then there's a Yamaha universal player, all on its own, and a...
As I like to point out to people: a DVD player costs less than a tank of gas these days. I guess it's a sign that (a) the price of gas has gone way up and (b) DVD players have come way down. When I bought my first DVD player in '02 ($120 Panasonic--prices had just come WAY down!), I could fill up my Integra from near-empty, pay with a $20 bill, and walk away with a few bucks' change to cover vending machines snacks at work. Last fill up (on the same car) was $42.22--makes...
Or J&R just has poor synchronization between their inventory tracking system and their e-commerce system.....
Actually.....pretty good. They discovered they didn't have what you ordered and promptly returned your money instead of stringing you along for weeks with "backorder" promises that never come to fruition. I work for a direct marketing company (totally unrelated industry) - the warehouse is about 30 ft from my desk as I type this ON MY LUNCH HOUR (in case IT is snooping). But anyway, sometimes you're getting low on stock on something, and the picker goes to pull the last...
Yeppers. But the lesson is, watch the site for a few days and pull the trigger when the price is on the low, $21.99 end. I have an order from SuperMediaStore of 300 more TY 8x DVD-R on the FedEx truck right now. No sale; just did a quick "inventory" after an earlier post in this thread and found I had fewer of them than I thought I did (well, I've been burning discs like a maniac this winter). I get the regular SMS sale e-mails, and I haven't seen 8x TV -Rs on sale for a...
And today it's $26.99 for FFP and $28.84 for the retail packaged version. That's almost 7 bucks more than I paid last week. Luke: My tendency to keep a large inventory of just about anything important that might run out doesn't bother me.....but I am concerned about what my family would think if I cacked unexpectedly and they had to clean out my house!