or Connect

Posts by dgaies

So we just moved into out new house and I am in the process of converting the finished basement living area into a home theater and video game room. The space isn't idea, but given the amount of HVAC and beams the previous owners had to deal with, they did a reasonable job of maximizing the space. The ceilings in the room are low (84") and the ceiling height above the main projector screen is even lower (74"). I've pretty much decided on how to allocate the space...
Projecting at 14' shouldn't present an issue as there is about 16.5' between the projector wall and the rear wall, so bumping up the screen size is feasible. Again, part of why I choose 106" was for non-AT options so I'd have a place for the center channel.Currently I'm projecting an image around 106" on the bare painted wall (an off-white-ish color). So imagine my gain is probably somewhere around 1.0, perhaps a little less (?). The image is bright enough, but...
I'm looking to solicit advice on DIY screen options for my new dual projector basement setup (we recently moved). I had a similar setup in our previous house, and used Elite 1.1 Gain screens on both projectors. I was fine with the IQ, but was looking to explore some of the current DIY options for this new setup. I figure for the cost of a pair of inexpensive pre-made screens (~$500), I could get a lot more bang for my buck with DIY screens. Primarily, I am looking...
Although I've read through many, many posts in this DIY screens forum, I am still trying to determine where the best place to start would be for my setup. This screen is actually for a 2nd projector setup in my basement, which will be used exclusively for the Wii and for the kid to watch DVDs. The projector for this setup is an Optoma H31 (480p, 850 lumens - optimized around 325 lumens). I will be projecting a somewhat "small" image around 73" (64"x36"), so I was...
FWIW, mine (from Woot) shipped from Texas.
Don't forget the sweet built-in handle on the 7210
It's hard for me to comment on the fan noise since my 7210 is silent by virtue of the fact that is mounted in an adjacent (projection/utility) room and projectors through a small piece of glass in the wall. I did have it projecting from the same room for the first week while I was finishing running wires to the projection room, and I can say that although it was by no means silent, I never found it to be too distracting (it never bothered my wife at all, I only noticed...
It's funny, I've had the 7210 for a little over two months now and have been very happy with it. I was looking for something to hold me over for a couple of years until 1080 projectors became cheaper (
I recently purchased the 7210 for 1k from woot (which is an authorized dealer) and would recommend it as well. This is especially true if you need/want a bright projector and the offset/throw works for your room. Granted it's not a fair comparison, but I had a Sanyo Z2 prior to this and the difference is night and day. The downsides most people often cite is that the projector is on the loud side and the blacks aren't the greatest. I can't comment too much on the...
Is there one [calibration disc] you'd recommend over another?