or Connect

Posts by mastermaybe

I REALLY want to finally follow through with my XT vs XT32 abx and see how much walk is behind the talk. I have xt32 and ran a rudimentary side by side "against" an avr with XT I had with the same mic, speakers, and of course, room, and I and two others could not reliably decipher the two- and I have a terrible room. That's a bit of an aside, but my real thrust is Id like to see what people "prefer" (if they do at all) without bias- that being onkyos own tech vs...
Hey guys: Sorry for the delay in getting back- a new job has me just running ragged lately. Well, we're up and running. What was the problem? A bad windows install disc. Yep. I had a "questionable" copy- and no, I'm not in the business of stealing anything, software included. Long story, but I went with a new Win 7 Pro install and voila: problem solved. I noticed some people going at it earlier about dicey installs so I don't want to stir the pot again, just relay...
I don't think we're far away from models offering "up to x channels" of capability with the end user paying "x" for additional channels through a firmware update. If anything it could REDUCE costs by paring down these ridiculous 12 model avr lineups. There's simply less and less to differentiate these models with every passing year now: EQ systems, multi zone, and increased multi channel capability is prolly about 95% of it, in my estimation. Oh, and the "weight" factor...
I didn't read the entire thread, but I would agree that wattage is nearly useless when one considers two realities: 1. Most people listening in most rooms with most speakers do not nearly need 30 watts most times, never mind 75, 100, 200, or 500 to cleanly reach the levels they're listening 9 times out of 10. 2. The doubling of amplifier power generally yields a 3db gain in output. So a "lowly" 50 wpc avr would still require 200 watts for just a 6db gain in ouput. Again,...
Great room and I'd heartily agree that the "necessity" of having an entire room "blacked out" is much more crucial to theory than reality. In a properly darkened room of just about any ilk you can pull off superb results with properly appointed and calibrated gear...no need to turn the place into a morgue. Onward, while I applaud this design for it and concur having equipment out of sight is a good thing- after all it IS about the sight and sound, right- I still cease...
The strawman contention that learned folks don't feel sub 15 (or 10) hz content "exists" is pretty much worthless. Reality dictates the contention (of many, anyway) is simply: Music: 99.95% is >15hz Movies: 99.5% is > 15hz. Ok, give or take some tenths...yes, even with "100's of titles" containing 1-60 seconds of such freqs. Yeah, I'll readily challenge the dismissed one percent: go ahead and add up the total seconds of ALL of the last two months of blu ray releases, I...
You're not alone my friend. I just put a very modest rig in my Honda Pilot and it immediately reacquainted me with how quickly (and cheaply) you can hit 130dbs on the meter in the bass dept (in the relatively tiny space that is a vehicle cabin).And really? pointless. For both the reasons you listed, but even more so for how running bass 10-40 dbs "hot" makes the balance of the music sound. I'd call it "unnatural" in the kindest manner.Even in my own 15x15 living room I...
^ this doesn't bode well for me... I thought the first one was truly one of the most compellingly bad "films" I had ever seen, with the last 30 minutes being right near the top. When you live in a country of 350 million it only takes a percentage to send something into a perceived realm of popularity/credibility. Thanks for the review. James
Well, I don't have a banana plug recommendation for you, but instead, would suggest to simply terminate bare wire.In 20 years I have yet to hear a convincing argument as to why it's beneficial to add another point of potential failure to an avr/amplifer loudspeaker connection in a typical home scenario. If I had a dollar for everytime I heard of banana plugs popping out and shorting though I'm certain I could end up with a nice steak dinner.To a guy swapping out gear...
Per the norm: I'm sure there will be more complex/deeper sub EQ and pre-outs will come on the top tier models. James