or Connect

Posts by Kressilac

Blockbusters and popcorn flicks are worth it to me to see in a theater. Drama's I'll see at home where any setup is mostly equivalent to what you will get in the theater. Saw Star Trek, Iron Man 3 and Man of Steel this year with The Hobbit probably ending up as the last movie I see in a theater. Everything else will be at home unless my kids convince me that Despicable Me 2 is on the list. The 4K projectors are just meh. Nice but I'm planning a 4K theater in my...
I'm a big supporter of Monoprice. I wired my new home with their cables and used their Home Theater UPSes to protect my HT gear in my rack in teh basement. They've always given me great service and the prices are usually best around. I may even go so far as to say that they sell things too cheap. Even if they marked up what they sell 100%, it'd still be some 40 - 50% cheaper than the Best Buys of the world. Haven't really ever received a bad product for the money. ...
Which of the IP remote control suites is closest to releasing a Windows 8 version or a Windows 8 Phone version of their apps. As far as I know, iRule is iOS first and Android second. Roomie is iOS only. and Demopad is iOS only. In my house we have an old Android phone that was replaced with my Windows Phone 8 device (love it btw) and a pile of iOS devices. I'd like a remote solution that will work on any combination of these devices and possibly my Windows Surface...
I can get damn good 1080p 7.1 surround in my house with better atmosphere and better popcorn. Theaters are failing because they don't push the technology limits anymore. Theater should already be fitted accross the board with 4K and 8K screens, Atmos surround sound and a significantly better atmosphere for the same $13 bucks they charge today. The marginal value of the theater experience for me has been relegated to the must see movies. Batman, The Hobbit, Harry...
I find it incredibly hard to beat the Win 7 HTPC, Ceton card + Xbox extenders solution. Yes, I know, Microsoft is hard at work killing that setup with Windows 8 but the Xbox paired with a HTPC is a very compelling solution for live TV. What Apple TV fans fail to see is that Apple TV can't give you local news, local weather, live sports or any subscription channels. For all of that you need FIOS, Dish, UVerse or Cable and if you are going that far, think about an HTPC...
Thanks for the great reply. I've got some reading to do which is exactly what I wanted to find. For my great room, I'm going to use in-wall speakers for the surrounds and bookshelf speakers from the front left and right with a soundbar in the center. Sub was never going to be in-wall from the get go. The room we're building is not optimal for a theater experience, but I'm trying to make the best of it while abiding by a fairly strict WAF. Thanks again for the great...
Can anyone point me to a good reference on in-wall/ceiling speakers. I want to get educated on the differences between brands and the differences between bookshelf and free standing speakers. The goal is to get a comfort level in choosing some of the speakers for use in my Great Room home theater setup and throughout the house for whole home audio. I know a bit about free standing and wall mount speakers for theater and audio. What should I look for? How does the...
I use multiple extenders and since the media center also hosts all of our pictures and music, there's usually one or more devices actively pulling files and such from the PC at any time. I went with 8GB and while I don't hit 8GB total usage, I have seen 5GB on occassion. If anything I've learned about Windows is that it loves to have room to breath. Operating Windows at anywhere near 80% capacity on RAM, disk or CPU might work but it is far from optimal. That said, 8GB...
I know that I bought the haunting simply to show off my theater. Crazy bass in that movie. Though for me, the reference soundtrack award goes to Master and Commander. I admit that for this list it is not tops but for total package audio, it's one of my favorites.