or Connect

Posts by terryj47

I have a WHS2011 system and I like it for the backup feature. As for sharing files, W7 works every bit as good. We have 4 W7 MC PCs in our home. Neither W7 or WHS can pool the drives (without some hassle anyway) so the only real advantage to WHS is the backup. And some Robycopy scripts tied to a scheduled task could accomplish the same thing. And I never have been able to do a bare metal restore from WHS. Getting the data files back has always worked. We do use the server...
Which OS are you running?
ATI cards with Eyefinity. I used an HD5770 for a while. Center monitor at 1920 x 1200. Two 1600 x 1200 monitors flanked the center monitor. Now have a new PC that has two NVIDIA cards. Just using 3 of the 4 outputs.
Getting it and activating it could be two different stories.
More often than 4-5 years but not very many times. 7 IS solid. My new Dell dual Zeon quad core at work with SSD is giving me some problems but not my home PCs.My last misadventure (at home) was because I was evaluating back up solftware. After an image backup, I shut down and disconnected the OS drive. Completely. I then put in a spare drive and did the restore with a bootable CD for the appropriate backup method. None of them were booted after restore. And after I gave...
The voice of reason. I will stick with WHS2011 for quite a while. I know people HAVE been able to restore. Just not me. And I do have all the network drivers etc. available. Assassin, I take your advice with the utmost appreciation. You have been very helpful to me since taking the HTPC plunge.
I think I tried the automated system this last time and it would NOT reactivate it. I had to call. So I just popped for another OEM version. They responded to a post on the "experts" forum and said that a new mobo was not eligible for reactivation even though it was just an upgrade. And the four desktop/htpc W7 systems in our house all have retired Vista licenses! Getting more pi$$ed...
For me it would be nice for two reasons: 1) It takes me a whole weekend to d a clean install. Windows. Office, CAD software, utilities, etc. AND the @#$@#$% updates! Then of course M$ will only let you intall windows 3 times. Then you have to ask for another activation code. And NOW they want a $59 credit card charge to even ask for it. I just went through this for a MoBo upgrade. I just be another copy. I have purchased two notebooks with 7 installed., a 3-seat family...
I have been using WHS for backing up three client PCs for a couple of years. First V1, then 2011. While it does a great job of backing up data. I have not successfully done a bare metal restore. Twice I've had to reinstall the OS and applications then get the data from the WHS backup folders. I'm also skeptical it can restore itself. Mine is small. A 500GB system drive, two 1 TB data drives and one 2 TB USB WHS backup drive. And my drives are NOT GPT. Not sure why I can't...
I like you are not really worried about the driver certification even if it is another nail in the coffin of WMC. I get my video drivers from NVIDIA afterall. The biggest worry to me is the guide. If M$ were to shut it down that would be a problem. After all, they do control the horizontal and vertical (from the old tv show outer limits). Removing the auto start is another sign.