or Connect

Posts by kdog750

Last year I went to the Sony store in Houston to look at the new 4K tech on their 84" TV. I walked in the store and walked right past the display because they were obviously playing a 1080P demo on it. I looked around for the one showing the 4K demo but didn't see it. I circled back around and got about 4 feet from the screen. I then realized it was 4K resolution. Very impressive at a very close range. But at normal viewing distances I could not see much difference at...
I know it's off topic, but does anyone know how to disable those annoying "Hot Deals" pop ups that refresh every time you click on a page or another thread? I am running Firefox and adblock but they still scroll out on every page you click. It's making this forum unuseable.
The 4K demos they always use in the stores are usually far away pans of city landscapes where there is much small detail. They use looped scenes that are aimed at highlighting 4K. I always suspected these same scenes would look very close if done in 1080P. At normal viewing distances I have a very hard time telling the difference in even the demos. I bet 4K content of a normal movie would be even much harder to detect a noticeable difference.
100 years from now, Art's great grandkids will be on here bemoaning the demise of Quantum Field Matrix Holographic projectors as the newer Micro Singularity Printed Holographic projectors take over. Artwood the 5th: "Sure, the micro singularities absorb more light and have deeper blacks but at the cost of inaccurate color reproduction! We are doomed to a vast wasteland of MSPH tech forever!"
No, this was all in that massive owners thread. I read the whole thread before buying to make sure there weren't some hidden problems. I do remember for awhile them saying Sharp would not give an official answer as to how many zones there were. I don't remember if someone just took the TV apart or if the manufacturer finally released a verified number.
No, I wasn't sure about the exact number of zones on the Elite. I remember it being between 250 and 300. I know the Vizio R series proclaimed a number above 300 but was too lazy to look it up.
I think the zones not going completely off is undetectable to the human eye. In a completely dark room in a scene like the black of space, it is completely black(at least to me). I wish I had the long explanation but it is buried in the Sharp elite pro-70x5fd70X main thread. And it's several hundred pages long.I think my Elite has 264 dimming zones while the Vizio R series claims to be 326 zones (I may be a little off). I believe the M and P series are 32 and 64 zones...
Yes, its full array backlit with local dimming. Blacks are very deep and uniform on the Elite. The "halo" effect you refer too doesn't really occur on the Elites. The short version explanation on how the engineers solved that problem is by having the zones not turn *completely* off like the Sony 950 does. And yea, the edge lit LED sets will always have the flashlighting problem around the edges which is why I didn't want one. You don't have to worry about that with...
I spent about 2 hours at the Sony store in Houston viewing the Sony 84" UHD TV a few months ago. Today I spend about 30 minutes at Best Buy viewing another Sony 55" model. Both sets were using a demo aimed at making 4K really shine. At anything approaching normal viewing distances, I was terribly unimpressed with either set. There was a huge jump from SD to HD. But there is only a marginal visual improvement going from HD to UHD. I was very let down by what I saw. ...
I was seriously considering the Samsung 8500 as well. But I also use my main TV as a computer monitor. It's not unusual for me to be browsing a forum and forget to turn off the TV and fall asleep for the night. That would spell disaster on a Plasma. That being said, I've read the same thing as others have said here. Panasonic seems to be very susceptible to IR while the Samsung is not. In the end, I went with one of the last remaining Sharp Elite 70" on market. ...