or Connect

Posts by zombie10k

groundhog day is a great reference.. this thread and the previous shoot-out has survived 3 years now, inevitably people are going to argue over the different comparisons. at the end of the day, folks are going to see different features that appeal to their eye, there is only so much the contrast measurements and color calibration info can tell us about the resulting image from each unique model. Once you add in reality creation and e-shift, it further complicates being...
some minor surgery on the Planar 8130. thanks to seegs for helping with this short throw lens, I can finally use this projector in the same location as my other models. (~17 feet from the 142" 16:9) This is a projector you can pretty much use out of the box and get excellent results. It's sharp and natural in appearance without the need for additional image processing. If I use the darbee, it's low @ 15-20.
Do you have a link to the thread where you made the masks, i thought I recall reading about it in the blackout thread. I have been holding on making masks until i can figure out the best way to do it. This 142" is relatively wide. I have the Dalite Cinema Contour screen which has a nice looking beveled edge but doesn't allow a mask to be wedged in. One of the ideas was 1/2 inch foam insulation + a drywall plastic edge to keep the 2 pieces together (they only sell it in 8...
you can calibrate it with iris fixed @ -7. You shouldn't have to do to much for the color gamut, I was able to get at least one of the factory settings to produce these results which is quite good. the projector must look great in your dark room. My ceiling is done, I am working on floor and walls next. I have a ton of black velvet, just trying to figure out what to do with it, I am thinking curtains.
The Runco LS-3 (Planar 8130) might be your best bet for the price. 0.95 panel size, excellent out of the box color and the lamps are inexpensive (factory lamps are available for ~125) I have a number of quality projectors but I definitely like the 2D PQ on the 8130.
Please post your impressions when you get a chance to compare them. That's a nice size screen you have. I just watched your VW600 un-boxing video, you are obviously one of 'us' meaning addicted to checking out the new models and trying out different equipment. geof - that's good to hear you're having a positive experience with the 57. I'm curious what they are going do in the fall - continue with this chassis 1 more round or try something different. i think the 3D could...
thanks for the reminder, someone @ BQ contacted me a few a months ago asking if I wanted to check out the W7500. I'll see if I can get one since I already had the W7000 and know it's weaknesses. I also still have 3 or 4 different kinds of 3D glasses from BQ.
When I measured with the T10, open was slightly higher on the 57 vs. the 4910. The largest difference I saw was @ -8 and -11 @ -8, it was ~ 38K on the 4910, 65K on the RS57. @-11, it was ~ 41K on the 4910, 85K on the RS57. So the 2nd iris does seem to make a difference when measuring. The dynamic with auto-full on both is basically the same, ~350K. I used to run my RS55 @ -11, but with the new models, would likely leaving it wide open and let the iris adjust. so the...
I've studied these 2 projectors in a stack with a split source. If you equalize the light output (JVC in high /. Sony in low) the JVC has a noticeable advantage in the low APL scenes. A good example is the original spider man movie @ 29:00 marker or the interrogation scene in Oblivion.if someone doesn't have a large, low gain screen to light up, imo the JVC makes more sense for those that have an interesting in the high native contrast of the RS57. The new iris does a good...
yes, i'm surprised how long it's gone on for. I've had the 600, 1100, 4910 and the 57 all together at the same time. each projector has it's unique strengths. The Sony's can light up a screen larger than the JVC's, the JVC's have the killer native contrast. When running 4K on the Sony, it clearly has the advantage since there is only so much e-shift can do with 4K content.I'm not sure how much more there is to say... different projectors for different setups. I wish I had...