or Connect

Posts by jevans64

I've had the Airmotiv 5's for about a year now. I don't listen to the new heavy metal stuff but the classic stuff from the 70's sounds good. The only thing I really plan on doing soon in the computer room is adding a DAC and an SVS SB1000 subwoofer to add a little more to the low end for movies. The 5's sound fine all by themselves, but I still want to try a subwoofer for explosions and such. The 5's are currently $409. I did try the Audioengine 5+ and like the Airmotiv...
I usually watch two or three movies a year on average in a theater. I'll probably see more this year since there seem to be a lot more sci-fi movies in the lineup. I saw Star Trek Into Darkness a couple weeks ago and will probably see Pacific Rim, Ender's Game, World War Z, and Elysium. I'll pass on all the Marvel and DC comics stuff this year and just buy the discs. I passed on Oblivion but will buy the disc.
You can buy flat wire for your side surround runs. That wire is made to run under carpets, rugs, baseboards.
Yes. You'll need some type of receiver to connect your components to and provide power for those speakers. If you are just starting out with multi-channel, I would just pick up a refurbished Onkyo TX-NR414 or Denon AVR1612. If you don't have HDMI cables you can order a couple of the Amazon Basic cables. I have a couple of those cables I use for xBox and mobile devices and they are pretty good for the price. If your DVD player doesn't have HDMI and doesn't upconvert to...
Search the forum for DirecTV HDMI issues with Denon AVRs. I remember there being some chatter about DirecTV DVRs not playing nicely with Denon AVRs but not sure whether it was the HR-34 or older satellite receivers.
I guess the best thing to do would be to go to the Denon site and find the closest Denon Service Center and see if they even have the necessary parts ( HDMI board ) to do a repair. I have a 5308ci and the parts are all but gone for that unit. I'm 240 miles away from a Super Service Center and have had to make the trip twice, once for repair and once for an upgrade.
Do you have access to the room via an attic or crawl space? I would just get CL2 or CL3 speaker wire, fish the wire up/down, and use wall plates at the surround speaker locations. I have an 11 speaker setup and the only speakers with visible wires are the Left, Center, and Right because of wire thickness and distance from those speakers to my gear. You'll mess the entire sound-field up if you calibrate Audyssey with speakers in temporary positions and then move them...
The might be NEW on the outside but they will have the SAME $2 paper cone drivers inside.
Late to the party on this thread but since the OP is running DefTech, I'll chime in. I've been running Heights for about a year. I do keep my Heights about 3 dB lower than the main speakers, but I'm also running an external amp with the " main five " and the receiver powers the " other four. " My receiver is a Denon AVR-5308ci w/ upgrade. That is guaranteed for about 140 watts x 7. I'm only running four surround speakers with the Denon, so it is probably putting out more...
View your lamp hours with the remote by pressing... [MENU] + 2 4 7 0You might have to try it a couple of times to figure out how to time the button presses. I think less than three seconds have to be between MENU and the number combo. Hours should be on the bottom left or right corner. I would say you'd need a new lamp if the hours are greater than 4000. Using "Bright" should solve the flickering for a short period of time, which would give you enough time to order and...