or Connect

Posts by greenjp

Sure But the "Chemrail" gun Damon picks up towards the end pretty much justifies the rest of the movie for me. Blokamp certainly has a way of thinking up new types of weapons, Elysium is worth it just to check 'em out.jeff
The LX7 would be dramatically better indoor/low light. I have a ZS15 and it's weakness is specifically indoor/low light. It's only got an f3.3 lens, while the LX7 is 1.4. That's 2+ stops better I believe, and the LX7's sensor is also larger so probably another stop there. So where the ZS30 (assuming it's similar wrt aperture and ISO noise to the ZS15) would be shooting say 1/15th and wide open, the LX7 will get the same shot at 1/60 at the same ISO. So you'll get less...
I think the first time I recognized a technological disconnect was as a young'un watching Star Wars. They had blasters, warp drive, etc but the graphics for their computers (Death Star schematics, targeting computer, etc) were comical. You could easily cut those filmmakers some slack since there wasn't any way to make it better. Nowadays they can create anything that can be imagined with complete realism so there's a higher bar. That said it wasn't elements like that...
It also had cool guns, and William Fitchner's character was great. I loved his line "Don't, breathe on me." Otherwise I agree, the movie was basically a mess. The pimped out Nissan GT-R was totally incongruous.jeff
Live membership deals are really fleeting, best bet is to keep an eye on the Deals thread here on AVS, maybe check Slickdeals, and try to catch one when it shows up. Best to start watching several months before you actually need it. I snagged the $40 deal from Newegg a couple weeks ago (they have some sort of Mastercard-linked deal that dropped another $5). Newegg is also a "Shoprunner" site so if you have a good American Express card you can get free 2-day shipping. ...
I totally don't get growling, and yet somehow Volbeat puts out a song with it that I can actually listen to. The Bloody Roots show on Sirius had a cover of Them Bones in the growling style, just couldn't get into it. I love Them Bones so maybe the cover didn't stand a chance. jeff
Agree 100% with the thoughts above about Volbeat. Disagree a bit re. Maiden's last 20 years, I was pleasantly surprised when I was introduced to some of their newer stuff a couple tours ago. There are some pretty great songs mixed in the more recent albums. The other day I was driving my daughters, ages 4 and 1.5, home from the Christmas lights show and concert at the Mormon temple in Silver Spring, MD (we're not Mormons but it's a nice event). The older one asked me...
I have Monoprice's "3X1 Pigtail HDMI Switch" and am completely satisfied. It automatically switches to the active input. I have my 360, DirecTV box, and Panasonic bluray player connected to it. It works perfectly when turning the system on from off (I use a Harmony remote), and occasionally will fail to switch when changing from say the 360 to DirecTV. Maybe 10% of the time it won't recognize the change, but there's a little button on it to cycle inputs so no biggie. ...
I get that people want to minimize the cost of doing whatever it is they do, or that they've got an eco-reason for reducing power consumption, but it all does sound sorta ridiculous in the context of home theater video gaming. First world problem right? How many kW-hrs do we all use checking out AVSforum per year? FWIW the EPA released an Energy Star spec for game consoles earlier this year. I didn't study it too carefully but it lists only 0.5W for standby mode,...
I assumed this thread was a response of sorts to the over-the-top praise of the EOS M in the other thread. Agree that it's sort of a pointless comparison given the different prices and target markets of the two cameras. Would be more interested in a comparo between the EOS M and similarly priced & capable offerings - Panasonic GF6, Olympus E-PL/M5, Sony NEX-5 & 3, etc. jeff