or Connect

Posts by kbarnes701

Hi Nyall. I am not quite following you here. The nanoAVR applies EQ before the signal gets to the DSP, so if the DSP upmix algorithm is looking for, for example, correlated information on which to work its magic (eg expanding 5.1 to 7.1) then the application of the EQ may have decorrelated that information. As such, the DSP will be working on bad information and may well fail to deliver the effect intended by its algorithm instructions.  The problem is where the nanoAVR...
 Doug, Nuke61 has already linked you to a good guide. FWIW, my view is that you should try to line up the PJ as best you can so that you minimise the amount of shift you need to use. But if you need to use shift, that is what it is there for. Just avoid extremes if you can. The issue with lens shift is this: all lenses are optically best in the centre of the glass. As you use the outer edges of the glass, various issues can arise - chromatic aberration, softening of the...
 I take the posts as they are written, Kris. When you insult me, and then seem to brag about it ("Got that did you? So quick"), I feel insulted. What else would someone feel. If you smile when you punch someone in the face, it doesn't lessen the impact of the punch. I try very hard to never insult anyone or to make a personal attack on them, but I don't always succeed. My personality type is that I give as good as I get and I treat others the way they treat me so I too can...
 Why are you mentioning DSPs? Atmos isn't a DSP. Why do you keep on mentioning Auro?
Hahaha. I was waiting for the Pavlovian reaction where you have to use the word 'Onkyo' in a post when someone criticises Emo.  For the record, I have no allegiance to Onkyo, although I have had good experiences with three of them in a row, and my next unit is not likely to be an Onkyo if, as it seems, they may be abandoning Audyssey.
 I always think that when all that someone can come back with is a personal insult to another member that they have nothing of value to contribute to a discussion, that they reveal their true nature and that they become unworthy of further interaction, but thanks for at least recognising that I am a quick thinker.  Your post above is somewhat strange. Why one earth would I "want the XMC-1 to fail"?  I have no vested interest in a competitor's products and I have already...
 Is this the price = quality point of view?
I doubt if half my posts are in this thread, given that there are only 1,000 or so posts in it, but I assume that was hyperbole on your part. I don't see my comments as 'negatives' but as 'realistic' and they are a counterpart to the fanboy enthusiasm that always seems to occur when Emotiva processors are being discussed. Nowhere was that fanboyism more rife than when people were discussing the dire UMC-1! I don't want the XMC-1 to fail. I am an Emotiva enthusiast and own...
 Well if you don't like Atmos you don't have to buy it. In fact, if you buy the XMC-1 you won't have the option. Atmos is the same kind of step forward that DD 5.1 was from Prologic before it and as Prologic was from stereo.  Auro is irrelevant to this discussion on the basis that a) I have never once mentioned it before now and b) it will die a rapid death, being a channel based system. As to imaging, my imaging here is spectacular. And I hear phantom height images too of...
Thanks Gary. I was considering how to mount the lens in front of the PJ lens and came up with the idea of using a ceiling-mounted 'shelf' which will be separately mounted on the ceiling and extending down to the front of the PJ - the lens will sit on the shelf. I could adapt this idea to use drawer slides if I move the lens out of the way for 16:9, but initially would see how it looked with the lens left permanently in place.  The crude sketch shows what I mean for the...