or Connect

Posts by kbarnes701

What about the people who DO want 3D?  How is it a 'smart move' to sell a 3D-capable unit to people who do want 3D and then not deliver what was promised to them? So much for 'upgradeable' promises.
 I had a full set of Emo speakers from the 6.3/ERD days and they are fabulous speakers. Amazing value too. I suspect Emo discontinued them and replaced them with the lesser stuff you mention because their Chinese manufacturer had problems with them, or they couldn't make any money on them. They were designed in the US by the legendary Vance Jackason, unlike their replacements. +1 to your last paragraph.
 Statement not supported by known facts. Good starting point: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolby_Atmos BTW, I guess you know that studios make a lot more money from the DVD/Blu-ray market than they do from theaters?
 You need the power required to make the speakers deliver the SPL you require at the distance you sit from the speakers. That is it. Any power over and above that has  zero impact on the sound because unused power can’t impact anything at all. There are very few domestic situations that require more than 200 watts per channel (and usually way less). This idea that somehow speakers benefit if the amp has loads of surplus power is nonsense. You need the headroom you need and...
 Not quite. The room correction system will have a huge impact on the in-room sound delivered by an AVR. Audyssey's top of the line XT32 is far better than their lesser versions like XT and there are some RC systems which don't attempt to EQ the bass frequencies at all (YPAO, MCACC) which is where EQ is most needed. The amplifier sections of the AVRs won’t impact the final SQ, so long as their amps are not being asked to work outside their design specs - ie not driven to...
 Absolutely. It is amazing that people seem to believe that amps have 'magic' qualities when, as you say, the tech was perfected decades ago.  Maybe it's a throwback to the 70s when there actually were differences between amps and SS technology was in its infancy? Maybe people still believe that stuff today - a sort of 'race memory' genetically imprinted at birth. Who knows - the reality is that modern SS amps working within their design parameters, not broken and not...
 I think most things that reviewers say are 'suspect'. The subjective reviews of electronics aren't worth the paper they're printed on, or the screen they are pixelled on - it's just one person's subjective opinion based on sighted evaluations, full usually of mumbo-jumbo words like "dark velvet silences between notes" and other cr&p like that. The example you found is typical.
 We'll see whose thinking is good come September...
 Atmos is the biggest thing in HT audio in a decade. It isn't relevant to how many speakers you use - the technology scales to the number of speakers it finds in the system in use. If it finds 5, then it uses 5. If it finds 11 it uses 11. Because object-based audio allows massively greater precision to the mixer than channel-based audio, the benefits oif Atmos will be felt (heard) even when used with a 5.1 system. Atmos will be a bigger game-changer than 5.1. Also of...
 Have you considered a Pro amp?  Something like one of the Crown amps for example. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0Z00CH3547 That is $299 and rated at 215 watts both channels driven, 8 ohms.  I have one of those amps and it is terrific. They look a little 'functional' if that matters to you and they do have a fan which means that if you sit close to the amp you might hear it. They are not very loud fans but some people seem extraordinarily sensitive to...