or Connect

Posts by kbarnes701

Good suggestion. If one can overcome the prejudices against pro amps, they offer the most amazing value.
 Even if we agreed that there were any audible differences between modern electronics, it doesn’t matter. Because even if we did agree, the differences would be minuscule. However, the differences that speakers and the room make are absolutely HUGE,  So it makes zero sense to spend thousands of $$$ on electronics at the expense of speakers and the room. The single most important component in the system is the room. The room can account for swings in the frequency response...
It probably does sound better to you. But it isn’t in all likelihood the amps that sound different to each other - it's the way you did the tests/comparisons. Using your methods you can practically guarantee that the amps will sound different even when they don't.  By this I mean that you are using sighted evaluation, know which unit is playing, taking more than a second or two to swap between them, failing to level match them to 0.1dB and so on. Unless you are complying...
 Yeah - that's the problem.  If you used measuring instruments as well as listening instruments, and you did it in properly controlled conditions designed to remove bias, then you'd agree with the proposition that you would not be able to reliably measure or hear any differences at all between a passively biamped system and a 'nomally amped' system. Unless, of course you have something wrong in your setup - eg you are using bell wire for speaker cable, but I doubt that...
;)
  http://www.avsforum.com/t/1425262/are-audio-companies-all-involved-in-a-huge-conspiracy/2910#post_23167298
 Of course the difference between a 300 watt amp and a 400 watt amp is more or less nothing - about 1dB more. The difference between 200 watts and 300 watts is about 1.75dB. The difference between 250 watts and 400 watts is 2dB. And the difference between 200 watts and 400 watts is 3dB. So not really very much in it.
 Your method will not give the best result. You need to follow the mic placement in the FAQ. You cannot optimise for every seat in a room layout like yours. Compromises have to be made. Optimise for the seats used most - ignore the outlier seats. Seat No 4 should be ignored in your room. This will give you a good result for the other seats. Follow the advice in the FAQ. It is the result of years of experience gained by many people, all very familiar with Audyssey.
 I’d suggest some time spent reviewing the advice in the FAQ, specifically for mic placement, here: d)3.   Where should I position the mic for best results?
 Passive biamping will make no audible differences in your system at all.  Because you won't be able to set crossovers prior to the speakers, you will still be sending a full range signal to the tweeter and other driver(s) of your speakers. Moreover, there is no benefit to be gained from the 'extra power' of the additional amp and in any event tweeters require very, very little amp power. The main benefits of proper (active biamping) are the ability to tailor the signal...