or Connect

Posts by kbarnes701

I agree that nobody will know definitively until CEDIA when the units are released into the wild, but there is plenty of informed speculation going around and it all seems to come to the same conclusion. And Dolby themselves have said it will work fine with a 2.0 soundbar AFAIK. So if it will work with a soundbar then it will work with 5.1 and 7.1 presumably, which are commonplace setups these days. There seems to be a misconception that Atmos will require numerous...
 If a room EQ system fails to EQ the bass then it is a fairly useless room EQ system. The bass is where EQ is needed. The measurements you refer to are here on AVS. Search will find them.
Kris, I don't know where this is coming from - I haven’t re-read my earlier posts yet but the above is not what I am saying at all. Or at least not what I am meaning ;) What I am saying, or trying to say, is that people with 5.1 speaker systems will still benefit from Atmos-encoded discs. There is absolutely no requirement to have umpteen speakers (although the more the better) and Dolby themselves go to pains to point out that Atmos will work just fine even with a 2.0...
 Are we at cross purposes?  When I say what I said about the benefits translating to 5.1 systems, I don't mean legacy AVR  systems such as we have currently. I mean 5.1 speaker setups used with an Atmos-enabled AVR. Dolby is very clear, AIUI, that Atmos mixes will use whatever speakers it finds in the system - if you have 11.1 it will use all 11 very effectively., If you have 5.1 it will use the 5 that you have in the best way that it can. This means that even those who do...
 AIUI it will not work with movies that are not encoded for Atmos to start with, but Atmos movies will still be backward-compatible with existing players and systems. Indeed, Dolby say on their website that Atmos will work very well with soundbars for example, essentially 2.0.  If you don't have one of the new Atmos-enabled AVRs you will still be able to play Atmos Blu-rays, but you will just get the 'core' 5.1/7.1 from them,  much like you can play DTS-HD MA or Dolby...
Noah is an Atmos mix and delivered as such in Atmos theaters. http://www.dolby.com/us/en/consumer/content/movie/release/dolby-atmos-movies.html There are currently about 400 Atmos-equipped theaters. The rollout is taking place much faster than the rollout of DD 5.1. It would be unreasonable to expect that suddenly 10,000 Atoms theaters appeared overnight, just as this did not happen with the move to DD 5.1. That the rate of appearance is going mush faster than it did for...
 I've not heard that expression before, but I like it.
Hahahaha. I *always* get that guy's name mixed up with the other guy. Thx for the correction., Chu.
 The object-enabled processors will also process sound so I am not sure what you are saying. I also don't follow with what you mean by "that stuff cluttering up your prepro". Do you object to that Dolby 5.1 or 7.1 "cluttering it up" right now?  How will the new codec be any different in that regard? There is certainly the possibility that the XMC-1 will be a good processor, especially if it works as advertised and their implementation of Dirac is a good one. But the point...
 How you deduced that from what I actually said is a mystery.