or Connect

Posts by kbarnes701

I’d say it is the source. One of the things that I wanted to specifically test when switching to the 9200/5030 was how it handled motion in comparison with my former DLP PJ. As you may know, DLP units are especially good at delivering very smooth motion. While the Epson is not as good as the old DLP, it is almost as good with the FI set to Low. I have some 'killer' Blu-ray scenes I use to test motion blur and they were all rendered very satisfactorily by the Epson. Have...
 I am guessing that the manufacturers are keeping quiet about what is coming because if they announce game-changing new units -- with Atmos, 4kUHD, HDMI 2.0 and possibly Dolby Vision -- are coming in September, then they will have killed dead sales of current units between now and then. Already more and more people are telling me they have decided to wait until CEDIA before making any decision to replace their current AVR or processor. The theme of CEDIA this year, BTW, is...
 Yeah, we are cross-posting in real time :)  I doubt there will be a capacity issue - the BDA is already publishing info on how current BD tech can be pushed to 100 gig capacity (for potential 4k releases).  And you're assuming that object-based audio will require vastly more data space - the audio files on discs aren't all that huge anyway. Object based audio is definitely launching in September...  no industry insider I have read has denied that when asked. I guess we'll...
 Sorry  - I linked to the wrong article - I edited my post while you were replying - my bad. I don't claim to know how they will implement it on BD. I have no idea. What I am saying is that it will be implemented on BD and we won't need new players. There has been no leaking of info about new BD players being launched at CEDIA - but huge amounts about new object-enabled AVRs.  All that the disc needs to do is to contain the bitstream that has the Atmos information encoded...
 I know because the information has been published and I have read it. They don't just create this sort of thing overnight - it has been in development for a considerable time. It has nothing to do with how it works in cinemas and how that is different from how it works at home - what we are discussing is how Atmos will be implemented via Blu-ray. First off I’d suggest you make yourself more familiar with how Atmos itself works, and this White Paper from Dolby will help...
 They do have a strange diet, but I'm not sure that their crap is any more toxic than that of us Westerners. And I know for a fact that they have toilets anyway.
 Probably. There is no doubt that object-based units will be announced in September. As I say, some may be available right away and some may not happen until next year. It is possible that the major players will adopt a different release schedule for their object-based units than they traditionally have. Onkyo, for example, usually announce new units around this time of the year for release in the fall, but that may change this year. Nobody can say for certain - we will...
 Audyssey doesn’t care where the sub is positioned - it just hears the noise it makes. The best practice is to optimise the sub's location prior to running Audyssey. Electronic EQ is good at pulling down peaks and raising genuine dips, but it can't do anything at all for room-induced nulls. So get the sub in the best place for bass and then run Audyssey to smooth out the response.
 I’d be surprised if you didn't like the Darbee. When you first get it, run a Blu-ray disc and set the Darbee to HD mode, 55%. This will give you a good idea of the improvement it makes, but in a subtle way. Later, try the Full Pop and SD modes and/or more or less % effect. All this will make sense when you have it in front of you. Please let us know how you get on with it!
Possibly. It is literally a couple of seconds before it goes to normal mode.