or Connect

Posts by Princess Aurora

We probably have more hope at this point than we did a few months ago. The newest Denon models have been announced to have Netflix. People around here speculated that a major reason the Oppo doesn't have Netflix is that Netflix wants to get their service in as many places as fast as possible, and Oppo is just too small a fish to worry about. If Netflix is going to work with Denon (bigger, but calling their players anywhere close to mainstream is just false), they might...
By "2 exchanges," do you mean turning around the "same disc" twice in one week, meaning a 6 total shipments per week?
Blu-ray's maximum transfer rate is 54 Mb/s, but only 48 Mb/s of that can be used for audio and video combined. Further, the video can only be 40 Mb/s max (audio and video are demultiplexed), even if the audio is smaller than 8 Mb/s. The absolute maximum is therefore 13500 MB, plus audio.
It doesn't matter. Resolution has nothing to do with the actual file size. Unless the video is uncompressed (or compressed losslessly), you can make any resolution pretty much any file size you want, within obvious reason. Codecs often have maximum and minimum bitrates, and you can never exceed the bitrate of uncompressed video anyway (although the lossy codecs, of course, don't come close to that). On Blu-ray, you're limited by the maximum bitrate of the format's...
People may *think* that DTS = better, and they don't want the perception to be that their releases are inferior.Of course, DTS is better if you can't access the full lossless stream. I'd wager that this is some 90%+ of BD consumers. Thus, this is a significant upgrade: now people will be getting a robust 1.5 Mbps DTS core, which is nearly as good as the full lossless (DTS claims transparency at this bitrate), instead of a 640 kbps Dolby track that, while an improvement...
Denon puts the DAC and ADC model numbers used on the product specification sheets. They're all from Burr Brown. You can Google them and look up the details about the DACs--TI's pages give far more info than you'll likely understand. Not sure about other manufacturers. You can try emailing their service departments about it. I did that with Denon (they hadn't put the specs up there yet) once, and got a response.
We were watching the PGA Championship today on CBS, and the receiver indicated that the broadcast was transmitting audio in Dolby Digital EX (evidenced by the LCD display and 3/3/.1 with MATRIX flag in the Audio Signal Information menu). Golf isn't exactly the best way to showcase this, and I don't think there was any surround activity at all (impossible to tell the exact channels anyway, since we have a 7.1 setup that uses the rear surrounds in PLIIx), but that's what...
The receiver doesn't see it as "no load." It sees it as infinite load--an open circuit. That causes it to freak out, as it needs to send infinite current to maintain the voltage with an infinite resistance. As it's incapable of doing this, and knows better than to try, it shuts itself off.
They probably had major issues with people grabbing the Blu-ray not having a clue what it was, and then getting home only to find out that they couldn't play it. I was always told that they had problems like that when they have the Blu-rays all together and away from the DVDs.
Some are and some aren't. I remember reading that the Red Hot Chili Pepper's Stadium Arcadium had a vinyl recording that was specifically engineered for vinyl. I guess they recorded it for LP separately at the same time they did it for CD, pulling all the old tricks of placing microphones optimally, and all sorts of other things they used to do to get better sound for analog recordings. However, I'm sure that finding out exactly what releases have specific vinyl...