or Connect

Posts by JST200

Hi Robert, sorry for the delay in responding. Been a hectic few days!The process for identifying the fault turned out to be pretty straightforward.As precursor to all the actions, whenever I removed or inserted a card I pulled the power plug first.So I:powered up the XL to ensure nothing had changed/improved. The motherboard gave a continuous repeating sequence of long beebs. - The indication of Bad memory (as I was to discover)popped out all the DIMMS and powered up the...
Hi Robert, Have you a pointer to the said article(s). Would be interesting to read, 'cause I can think of no earthly reason for the assertion that "green" disks shouldn't be entered into a RAID set. I have an alternative proposition for you though. Why not leave your poor old XL2 alone and build a Media Server instead? I was given an old Dell OptiPlex 745 and have turned it into a Windows 8 Server. It has 3 * 2TB data disks and loads of PCI slots so I could easily add...
So! There is some good news and some bad news... The bad news: I won't be buying a shiny new HTPC. The good news: My XL302 is back up and working! It turned out to be a failed memory card. Whether it failing was caused by the power outage or just coincidental I don't know. I couldn't have been my usual self, since the fault analysis process was straight forward - as pointed out by Robert (Thanks again Robert!!!). Too many things happening/failing at the same time for...
Hi Robert, I knew I could rely on you for a way forward. :-) I should have thought of it myself, but in my defence, I was swamped by a load of disparate problems all occurring at once! :-( I have tried replacing the button battery and clearing the CMOS (with the power cable removed, with the power cable removed), but not both at the same time. So I will try that next. Thanks for the POST pointers. Does anybody know the actual Sony POST beeb sequences or will I...
Hi all, I'm astounded that this thread is still running! Glad it is though :-) Last night we had a power outage. When I turned my XL302 back on all I get is a constant beep beep beep from the motherboard. No screen display or anything. I can't think what has happened, how to diagnose it or how to fix it. Any thoughts greatly appreciated! Cheers, Jim
Hi Robert, Thanks for the welcome! :-) To be precise/pedantic Win 8 will upgrade from Win XP SP3. So if you have Win XP SP2 you have to install SP3, not a big issue but something to be aware of. The install DVD wont even run if you have SP2. Since we know what bits of Sony Utilities/drivers are required for the Blu-Ray drive eject button then either a clean install or an upgrade should be OK. I've done both (on other PCs). The upgrade doesn't necessarily carry...
I haven't been here for quite some time. Glad, and amazed, to see it's still going! Anyone tried Windows 8 Pro on the XL3 (02) yet? I've installed win 8 on quite a few other pcs over the last month or so and it seems a lot faster than win 7. I'm just about finished creating a win 8 pro server to replace my whs v1 server for media streaming. The only problem, I see, with win 8 on the xl3 is the dreaded blu-ray player eject switch. Cheers, Jim
Sorry, I think this post has gone in the wrong place. I meant it to go in the vaio xl3 thread. The perils of driving posts with a tablet! If a moderator can delete this thread, please feel free!
I haven't been here for quite some time. Glad, and amazed, to see it's still going! Anyone tried Windows 8 Pro on the XL3 (02) yet? I've installed win 8 on quite a few other pcs over the last month or so and it seems a lot faster than win 7. I'm just about finished creating a win 8 pro server to replace my whs v1 server for media streaming. The only problem, I see, with win 8 on the xl3 is the dreaded blu-ray player eject switch. Cheers, Jim
At last a PCI DVB-T2 tuner is available for those with XL3's who want a tuner capable of receiving Freeview HD - sorry, this is no doubt gobbledygook to those across t'pond! http://shop.blackgold.tv/BGT3620 http://www.amazon.co.uk/BGT3620-dual...3681483&sr=1-1 A bit steep price wise mind! £115.70 delivered from Amazon. Belay that! I have just noticed its a PCIe card! Hopefully it will only be a matter of (a short) time.... Though perhaps this would...