or Connect

Posts by tstreete

Can't say whether or not it plays Tivo files, but you can probably find out over at:http://forum.archosfans.com/
The Archos' TV Plus plays replay TV files fine, if you buy the $20 "cinema" plugin.
I have one and like it. More here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=984507
Archos series 5 portable media players (and the TV+) can play replaytv standard files if you install Archos' cinema plugin. (Works fine on my TV+ anyway.)
The Archos TV+ works as a DVR, a file server/streamer for media content to and from a PC, and it offers an opera browser to boot. It's possible to mount the TV+ as a drive on a PC via a usb cable or via a local network, either ethernet or wireless. Video and other (audio, photos) files can be copied across the connection both ways.
Further update on what kinds of video files it can access: the main limitation seems to be copy protection schemes, and the Archos is set up for Windows Media and Flash 7, which means no Silverlight, and no Flash 9 sites. And beyond that, it depends on what the particular commercial site allows you to do with files. Amazon unbox, for example, treats the TV+ as an allowed "portable device" (odd, because it's not portable) so you can buy shows from Unbox and then transfer...
Archos released an update to the firmware today that fixed this problem. Amino Aminet is now supported. Some people complain about Archos' tech support, but I emailed them two weeks ago about this and they got right on it. Pretty responsive, given the exotic character of my STB.
The Archos TV+ web browser is a real web browser, but it can't do everything. It can do Flash 7, and there are rumors that it will soon be updated to Flash 9. I don't know how Silverlight works, but I haven't seen any mention of it as one of the things the Archos TV + can do. (The Archos is linux-based, and uses a proprietary user interface.) The Archos web site has this to say about video decoding: MPEG-4 (ASP@L5 AVI, up to DVD resolution) WMV (MP@ML, up to DVD...
While I'm at it, I'll post a query: the one big problem I'm having so far with the Archos is getting it to control my set top box, which is an Amino Aminet 110, used for iptv systems. The Archos has never heard of the amino; I'm wondering if anyone knows of any equivalents that the Archos might know about. (On my replaytv, using the codes for a "Siemens 1256" system worked, but the Archos has no such setting, and none of the other Siemens options worked.) Thanks.
Just received an Archos TV plus, which I'm hoping to use as a DVR, and thought I'd offer some first impressions. The short of it is, the reason to buy this thing is for its low price and impressive feature list. If you're looking for an Apple- or Tivo-like flop-on-the-couch-and-start-watching experience, this isn't quite there yet. Expect a couple of hours of setup and learning just to get going. But it's a nice little box with no monthly channel guide charge (for the...