or Connect

Posts by pdferguson

Just picked up the Blu-ray version of AI last night at Fry's for $10, hard to pass up a deal like that. I have watched the DVD of this several times, and enjoy it more on each viewing. The world Spielberg created in AI is fascinating, starting with its deliberate homage to the classic story of Pinnochio. AI raises interesting questions about the role of technology in society by creating robot characters we really care about--which is exactly the point. I agree with...
I just went to the B&W website, and noticed the XT series is no longer listed. Has this speaker line been discontinued? It looks like it may have been replaced by the FPM/VM series (which now lists the PV-1 sub as part of its line), does anyone know how these compare to the XT series?
Quote: Originally Posted by Bruins29 Well hopefully they dont get hooked up the wrong way or the music will be backwards. Paul is dead...
It hurts me to say, but I'm going to have to skip buying this until it winds up in the $5 remaindered bin (which is surely its destiny.) A real shame, this is one of my all time favorite films, but I refuse to support a studio which shows such disregard towards their customers. I'm voting with my wallet.
Thanks for the quick response, Rob, that clears things up. Aside from the B&W speakers, my new system consists entirely of products made by Bay Area companies. An iMac (Cupertino) feeding a Nuforce HDP DAC (Milpitas) that drives the MiniVee (Morgan Hill) and out to a Parasound Zamp (San Francisco). Like I said, audio nerdvana...
I just bought a refurbed MiniVee, and have a question about the Auto Power feature. The pictures in the owner's manual and the labeling on the back of the unit disagree, both in their wording and which direction the switch should be set. The manual shows: POWER ON AUTO which indicates the switch should be to the right. The back of the MiniVee shows: AUTO ON/OFF ACTIVE INACTIVE which indicates the switch should be to the left. From what I can determine, the...
That agrees with my experience just having broken in a new pair of XT2's. I was surprised how good they sounded right out of the box, and there was virtually no change over the next several dozen hours of play. From my experience breaking in various headphones over the years, I was expecting some changes, but these showed very little. I have heard that other speakers (such as Totems) do require a longer break in period and will change pretty dramatically during that time,...
I just upgraded my home office stereo system with new B&W XT2 speakers--a Christmas gift from my wife! I agonized for months over the speakers (it came down to four choices: the XT2's, the B&W CM1's, or the Monitor Audio Apex A10's or RX1's). The XT2's make excellent desktop speakers because they are compact but fairly tall; with the tweeter mounted on the top, they can just sit on the desk and the tweeters are only slightly below ear level. The midrange speaker is also...
Thanks, Tim, I will look into this. This may not be the right forum section for this question, but it does relate to this Radius 720 sub. Can anyone comment on how much a downward firing subwoofer is affected by being placed on carpet versus a hard floor? I had been thinking I should look at forward firing subs since it is going to be on carpeting.
Thanks for your comments. I am concerned about this as well, that the smaller size will compromise sound quality. With my (very limited) knowledge of Monitor Audio products, it seems the move into aluminum cabinets is new to them, and I wonder whether they "got it right" with the Apex. The A10 does seem to have better quality drivers than the RX1, but without listening to them side by side it's hard to know how they really compare.The B&W XT2 is also an aluminum...