or Connect

Posts by Slare

Despite the paranoia I have a 60" ST and have had no IR problems gaming while running ~85 contrast, ~58 brightness, and 2.2 gamma. It's a bright setting but I have a bright room and it's how I like the set to look. Regardless, I've had no problems with IR with a few 3-4 hour games (I'm pretty good) of black ops zombies, which is actually a terrible test because there are several fixed logos that stay up for probably 3 hours straight in some cases (perk logos, score...
My .02, but I think it's because there are a couple different groups of people out there. One group, which has a higher than normal representation on AVS, is very paranoid about every little facet of their TV. There is nothing wrong with this. It's a hobby like anything else and if you want to run break in slides and do perfect calibration and stare at empty displays to check for IR then that is fine. The other group buys the TV, sets it up, and never stares at the...
One thing I'm not clear about, will the old HDMI 1.4 models pass a 4k signal untouched? I don't care about 4k right now, I think it is a long ways away. And if my 1712 and 4311 will pass a 4k signal through to my eventual theoretical 4k TV unmolested, that is just dandy and means even longer I can ignore it. ...because I'm going to have a high quality 4k TV with accessible 4k source material before I even consider it as a reason to upgrade my box. And I suspect that is...
Doesn't look like they changed much. I really like these little boxes they have as nice of sound quality of anything in the price range and a more subtle GUI that works better on larger TV's. If I had a single complaint it would probably be that the remotes are not that nice, and they should be given the money. The 50wpc is plenty if you are using powered subs or not trying to blow the doors off. Problem is they pretty much never go on sale, you gotta go refurb for...
Lookup "toggler" drywall anchors. They make a big hole in your drywall but they will support a lot of weight. I'd be very comfortable using them to mount 820's.
For what it's worth in my room with the same speakers I've liked Audyssey XT the best. And I've been through a lot of AVR's. Sony -> hk EZ-set --> Mid line MACC --> Top line YPAO --> Audyssey --> Audyssey XT is my .02. But MACC/YPAO/Audyssey are awfully close, and if you neglect the sub section I would consider MACC, YPAO, and Audyssey close enough to be down to personal preference, or just user setup variation. There are different tiers of MACC and YPAO but they are...
What are your fronts and center? If you have 1990's L100's you could dig up an S-center to go with the S36's so long as the cab styling doesn't bother you. EC35 center + E10 surrounds would be nice, too. Don't neglect the center.
No, but I think I've talked to the guy whose they are before. He kept lowballing me on a PS1400 I was selling saying he only needed the box as the corner on one of his was smashed, and that he'd have to drive sooooo far to buy mine. The price would be fair enough if not for the damaged PS1400 and freight would cost and arm and a leg. If anyone is local you might want to give a cash offer a shot. Adjusting down for ebay/paypal BIN fees + the hassle and risk of shipping...
ES10 is gimped by the small 4" woofer, ok as a surround in small systems but not worth much otherwise.810 is a little better but the 5" woofer is still on the small side. It does have a much better tweeter and is well suited as a surround speaker.S36 is a lot older but is closer to being a true full range speaker with the 6" driver and a solid 1" tweeter. However it is in a composite cab that is not quite ideal.At similar prices I would pick the 810, but the S36 should...
I'd try running a separate optical connection from your box and see if that works. You can use HDMI for video and set it to use optical for audio, even though the audio is also coming in through HDMI. There are lots of issues with HDMI in between AVR's and various boxes. If this is the only problem you have with the 987 I'd definitely try this workaround before buying another box. 987 is a solid AVR.