or Connect

Posts by Slare

You said I hit the nail on the head for what you want to do, a $20 smart strip will accomplish it. No trigger setup, no costly trigger hardware. Plus you'll have several other outlets that are effectively switchable with your AVR. My .02 is don't worry about the sub. The auto-turn on circuitry is one of the most common relays to fail, and leaving it on avoids unintentional shut down issues that will occur on movies with rare lfe content.
The L7's I bought had bad grilles, when I redid them I used black cloth and liked the looks a lot better. The silver grille styling provides nice contrast but to me it also looks dated. There's not much you can do with that giant L7 tower, but at least making it all black tones it down as best as possible.
No question, get in the car.
I assume you used to have an AC adapter running fan(s) that was simply plugged into the switched outlet of your old AVR... I do the same thing with the switched outlets on my older Denon. If this is the case and you don't actually want to have trigger control to turn them on or off when the AVR is in use (just always on with the AVR) then just use a smart strip. Dead simple and it will work. It's also a nice way to trigger your back lighting if you have any. People...
I'm a 100% believer in Audyssey but accuracy be damned I still do not like its results for 2 channel music listening. I had terrible results before learning all the tweaks to use Audyssey properly, but even the good results I still do not care for with music. I chalk it up to the fact that I've been listening to much of the same music in plain old uncalibrated, terribly colored environments for my whole life. That music is never going to sound right to me under clinical...
Many of those Carver units are old enough now that they are due for service, mostly the caps need replacing as I understand it. Warning signs of needing the caps include hum/hiss on one or both channels, and to my understanding, the amps can also start to get a bit edgy. There is a specialty shop Bob himself is involved with that will do it right and at a fair price, Retha's or something like that, and you'd have a monster amp ready for another 15 years of...
Looking back it may have sounded a little harsh, but you can pick up 180's for about $320 for a pair right now which is what why I posted in the first place. 5 channel kits have been out there at $500. The pricing seems really attractive given the driver compliment. I didn't mean any disrespect to the new studio stuff at all. Once they get into the used market I will probably try a pair of 180 or 190's. I wouldn't be in for the HT setup due to the little center...
I think just about everyone in here would say the L890 is superior. But comparing current prices the 190's would be about 40% of the cost for a pair. Big difference, and lots of options open up at the current L890 prices.The Studio 180's seem to be priced really well at the moment, especially if you are running a sub anyways. They are almost in no-brainer territory if you can deal with the styling. That's really the problem, there were people getting L890's for about...
There have been a lot of deals on the new studio series popping up lately. Anyone with some insight into why? They have been around for awhile but were pretty hard to find. Now in the last month it seems like they are widely available and in some cases with big discounts. Is it just that they are now finally becoming available in volume and this is the launch pricing? Or are they actually being cleared out because someone at Harmon, you know, looked at them? I'm...
For what it's worth, I picked up a very old open box 3310 just a few weeks ago and big surprise it had a bad network card. I sent it to the Pangury (sp?) joint and got it back in a little more than a week, shocked at how fast the turnaround was. Far as I can tell the replacement card is the old style gold trace card but the repair list also mentioned a "radiator support". I can't open the unit due to being serviced, but it seems like another step has been added to...