or Connect

Posts by Slare

The cost to double box an item is substantial. That 60" TV example would cost well over $50 to double box properly, even with Amazon's incredible leverage. You or I trying to do it would be well over $100 added. Think about it... cost of box, packing, labor to double box, increased weight and size for cost of shipping. Amazon knows what they are doing.
I wouldn't worry about it too much, just get an 8 ohm paper cone tweeter that will fit in the existing hole and be done with it. Dome won't sound right, they are typically much less sensitive. I had two pairs of those speakers when I was a kid, must have been circa 1992 or so. Pretty impressive that they are still ticking. PE is a good recommendation and they have several to choose from that will cost you all of $5 for a pair.
Why not just setup two different scene settings for your source? Still just one button press doing it that way.
There are so many different brands out there you really need to hit the shops and get a feel for what you like. Boston's have a sort of forward voicing in the upper midrange that I think works really well for acoustic instruments and similar types of music. The MSRP or launch prices are ridiculous, but you can buy the "old" models at huge discounts as new models are rolled out every ~2 years or so. Boston tends to use very similar technology and drivers in their...
I've heard all three, and had an LC1 and EC35 at the same time when I was trying to settle on a center to go with L5's. For what it's worth I agree with ajl1 that the EC35 is a better match.But honestly, neither one is a very good match and all three speakers have quite different voicing in the treble / upper midrange. If you have an AVR that has individual channel EQ or something along the lines of Audyssey XT, you can tweak the EC35 to get close enough to satisfy most...
I think all you need is a IR repeater or a receiver that has a jack for a remote IR sensor. Put the receiver anywhere and wire it up. Behind the TV. In a closet. Up in the attic. IR receiver goes in your nook. Everything runs as normal, just the AVR is out of site. It sounds bad but think about it, how often do you actually have to touch the AVR once everything is installed and setup? Also looking at it you might have enough room to work with to take the stand off...
That's a pretty big room. If you can use a three CS 226's up front it would help a lot, otherwise, I'd be concerned that the 225C may struggle keeping up. If you must use a conventional horizontal center, I'd recommend looking into a setup that has a larger, true 3-way center channel... ideally with 6.5" woofers and a dedicated midrange. The center is your money speaker and many affordable lines are crippled by a weak center offering. I also assume the P400 is a typo,...
Wow solid you SCREAM a lot. It's a $28 crossover which is still available as a service part from the manufacturer, designed for an inexpensive big box store type of loudspeaker. JBL makes product spanning from Best Buy to custom installs. Not sure what kind of crossover you'd expect to see in a $150 ~2000 era speaker... but this is certainly not out of line. Also, the E50's crossover is designed to support bi-amping. Not just bi-wiring.
I have a suspicion that if you tear the tweeters down you will see the voice coils are melted... which short out and burn up the crossovers. Dead wires to the midrange are a byproduct of the crossover design or burnt out traces. Root cause of this is either overdriving the speakers (which I don't think is what happened here) or driving your amp into clipping (which I do think is the case). Both can have a similar end result. I know these speakers well and if you are...
Picked up an open box Denon 3310 dirt cheap yesterday, found it to have a bad network card. Normally I'd just return it but the price was so good it is worth hassling with the warranty work. Looking for some advice as to if I'd be better off taking it to the Denon service center (25 miles) or back to Magnolia (10 miles). Distance is not really an issue. Just looking for which might be better. Would Magnolia just have it taken/shipped to the same service center...