or Connect

Posts by Slare

filecat, I generally respect almost everything you say... but all of the correction packages on AVR's are not the same. The Audyssey XT/32 and uplevel MMAC tools are much more powerful and effective than I think you are giving them credit for. You do have to use them correctly, and the settings are sometimes not so clear to adjust... but those rules apply to anything and for an average guy, they can be used for huge benefits for an out of the box tool. Whereas something...
While I agree that all components are not built equal... you have to admit the AVR or pre/pro's correction package is going to have the biggest influence on the end sound for multichannel setups. I'm talking 95% correction package vs. 5% amplifier signature. Harman's EZ set is just terrible, a shameful product given the experience under Harman's group. I was not impressed by Yamaha's or the mainstream Pioneer tool, though people seem more satisfied with the upgraded...
wow that's crazy... I thought the various settings were part of Audyssey's options. Do you use dynamic volume? I like it for low volume listening but only at the lowest setting. Any other setting sounds too processed to me and might be another variable messing with your sound. Make sure it is turned off when you are trying to get your system dialed in at normal/louder volumes. Some Denon's enable it by default at a high processing mode.
Please take a step back and see if you can work with your Onk before spending more money. My .02 says you probably have the tuning flexibility in that box to get the sound you want... and if not, then the EC35 is probably your weak point before the Onk.You are focusing on the center channel, which means HT, which means you are probably using the Audyssey feature of your AVR, right? If you are not using Audyssey, please try it as noted below before you dump the Onk. ...
Yes, they are. My Performance series playkit was assembled in about four (five?) different steps/purchases, and these last two were ones I had to take to get the associated PS1400's. I bought off ebay, craigslist, that Canada trading site, even swapped a rather nice gentleman in Ohio a set of cherry's for blacks. I was a man on a mission for a period of a year or so. It's all a blur now. I have kept them for a secondary system expansion, but realized that it is never...
Boston VRC is the shortest center I have used that I consider good, and it is 5". If you have a decent AVR with Audyssey or the like, it will go a long way to correcting timbre match. Purists won't like it but it is much better than without. As others have said you probably have adjustment room in your wall mount to push the TV up at least an inch or two, likely quite a bit more. If you are truly limited to 4" or less you are better off running phantom mode with no...
I betcha there are people out there that prefer the windmill styling over those old blue monsters. I'm not one of them, but I bet they are out there. I'm hoping this windmill series represents the bottom of the curve for JBL... Harman seems to be picking up in the marketing department, maybe that department will wise up and realize what JBL people want before it is too late. Something styled like the Japan LS series, but using the PS series driver arrangement would...
Over on the LH site there were at least a couple different people that were quite surprised to find the reversed high-pass terminals on their PS1400's after I posted some pics. If you have PS1400's, it is worth taking the time to check it out. I have four PS1400's and would love to know if anyone can identify the SN break points of amplifiers being bad, ok, improved. Mine are probably all old enough to be in the bad/ok group, but I have always been nervous about them. ...
JBL built the PT800's with at least two different PN tweeters, the later ones had the washers installed. I have no opinion as to which PN is better or worse (I can't tell a difference) but I know they used at least two PN's from the factory, so there are at least three total PN's including the current service part that are acceptable. Why they did this I cannot say, but it is absolutely true. The later production part and the current service part are in a slightly...
VR line from Boston and ES line from JBL are very comparable in build quality. Styling is only your own opinion... The JBL's have going for them that they are probably newer, and have a dedicated midrange driver. There are also other smaller speakers from the line that will be available for some time to build up a 5.x or 7.x system. However the center channel from the ES series is rather terrible. If HT is your priority I would avoid them. VR1's have what I would...