or Connect

Posts by JHBrandt

That close and that high up, pretty much any UHF/VHF antenna should work. Chances are your Homeworx will work fine once you put your antenna up. BTW, since your TV has a digital tuner, you'll probably want to set your HW's RF output to "loop through" and hook it to your TV's RF input. That will let you record one show while watching another (like an old-fashioned VCR). As far as tuners go, many are somewhat better but I know of none that are "significantly" better. I've...
The tuner chip is fairly new (and presumably 6th generation). The newer generations are better able to deal with multipath; 6th generation chips can even handle situations where the reflected signals are stronger than the direct signal, as happens sometimes in crowded urban environments. I believe it's a low-cost "universal" tuner chip that can tune DVB-T (overseas) as well as QAM and 8VSB, although of course DVB-T isn't used by the N. America firmware. They probably sell...
Jjeff basically nailed it; if you use a longer-range antenna it'll usually have a narrower beam width. So if you're trying to get signals from multiple widely-spaced directions you'll probably do better with a shorter-range antenna. But if the signals are all from one direction (or at least a narrow range of directions, say within a 60-degree angle), you may do better with a longer-range antenna than you "need." It will cut multipath a lot better. Note: if you move to a...
I just didn't appreciate his rhetorical style I will concede that, technically, aaronwt did "speak the truth:" the monthly TiVo fee does add something of value beyond the guide; specifically, the ability to use the bloody thing at all!But we've had that discussion many times before. I see no point in his dredging up an old post of mine and trying to relitigate it yet again.
Might try an Xtreme Signal HD1080X. Looks like a reasonable indoor or outdoor antenna. It's about $30 which is a bit more than the Monoprice, but it's supposed to work up to 35 miles from the towers. Whatever you decide, try to get it up as high as practical.
The problem I've noticed most is if you delete some subchannels of a given channel and keep others, the deleted subchannels often come back. This happens most often if the screen flashes after you tune to one of the subchannels you kept. This also affects "skipped" subchannels (the "skip" flag often gets removed).Ion causes the most problems in my area (DFW) but I've also had it happen on some low-power stations, especially if the signal is marginal. Last night it actually...
I just blocked aaronwt's posts.
I'm pretty underwhelmed by Wheeler's proposal. For most folks, moving local TV to broadband Internet would mean providing it via cable - which means cable would mostly be "competing" with itself. "Do you want to watch Shark Tank on cable or on cable Internet?" Big choice. But then, Wheeler was a lobbyist for both the cable and wireless industries. Both would benefit from broadcast TV going away: cable would lose their biggest competitors, and wireless would get all that...
Since the antenna is in a closet, I'd guess you have some short-range reflections that just happen to cancel RF 41 right where your antenna happens to be. Moving the antenna is the right thing to try, but then you discovered the reflections canceled at other frequencies. You'll have to move it farther until you find a spot where all the channels work. If you can, get it to a more open area and run a cable.
Glad you found a satisfactory solution.Your terminology is confusing though. Just to be clear, the remote control has an IR emitter (or LED); the Homeworx box has the IR sensor. The IR beam goes from the remote to the HW The cheapest I've seen these is $36.99. They're usually $10 more, but both Amazon and NewEgg have it on sale on occasion.I'm not aware of any newer models being planned though. The latest model from Mediasonic is the HW-180, which will play A/V files but...