or Connect

Posts by staindrocks

Did this thread die out or what? Is there anybody who PM'd New Design about what specific materials, and more importantly, links to where they can be ordered? I'd really like to give this build a shot, but i don't have the extra cash and/or time to experiment with different materials myself. Since New Design has already done plenty of testing and narrowing down of which combinations give the best result, as evidenced by his completed black screen hanging on his wall, i...
I have a video processor device that hooks into the hdmi chain right before the display, and i'd like to get comparison screenshots of the the video being sent to my display when the device is "On" vs "Off". The device i'm referring to is the Darbee Darblet. I want to take 1080p PNG screenshots that are a 100% accurate representation of what i'm seeing on my display, so i guess that would mean they need to be uncompressed. Can this be accomplished with some kind of...
Is there an easy way to explain what the differences are between the three horn flare options(conical, exponential, and parabolic) and how they relate to the actual build? Hopefully, you understand what i'm trying to ask. What(or where) on your horn would you build differently when choosing a conical vs exponential vs parabolic flare?
If i do decide to build it with the DCS380-4, i'll start a build thread and document how it goes. So you'll definitely be able to see how it works out. I'll also be happy to provide measurements, as long as i get some help with it... hopefully i'll be more up to speed by the time i finish the build, but i'm sure i'll still need some help with the measuring stuff.EDIT:lilmike, what kind of flare do you choose in Hornresp for this build? And is it the same flare that...
Has anybody tried the Dayton DCS380-4 15" with this build? I was planning on ordering the RSS390HF-4 for either a THT build or a Cinema F-20 build, but i keep staring at the DCS380 for nearly a hundred bucks cheaper and now i'm stuck with what i want to do going forward. I already got a Bash 500w plate amp to power whatever build i end up going with. I've tried over and over again to model it in Hornresp, but as much as i've tried to learn how to do it, i simply don't...
I have already bought the THT LP plans, with the intention of standing it up in the corner of the room, although laying it down wouldn't be a problem either. But it would be nice to have the flexibility to do either just to future proof my HT room layout. A big reason why i bought the THT LP plans instead of going with a free alternative is because i've never built any kind of speaker/subwoofer before, and i read that Bill's plans were a very detailed, step by step set...
Thanks a lot for that thorough explanation, maxmercy! I'm going to be using the RSS390H in my THT, too. The 16Hz filter sounds pretty good to me. In the 20Hz filter example, you said not to use more than ~25V, as the driver will start reaching its excursion limits... what about when set at the 16Hz subsonic filter position, what is the limit one shouldn't go beyond in this setting? I know you said you never feed your THTs more than 13-15V each, which i probably...
These are a few of the posts i've read about lowend boosts, which i don't know enough about to know how this might affect the THT's performance? Does anyone know the answer, or can you help explain what it means?
I just got offered a deal on a O-Audio 500w Bash plate amp, so could someone tell me whether this would be a good choice to use with the THT LP? From what i've read it seems to be a better amp w/EQ than the PE 300w Bash, but i want to make sure it doesn't limit my THT in any way that the PE Bash does not. Is there anything i'd be giving up or issues i'd need to be aware of if i chose the O-Audio 500w Bash to pair with the THT instead of the PE 300w Bash? I'd like to go...
Like i said, i'm about as noob as a noob can be when it comes to speakers, amps, etc... but I thought i read where people recommend building a box for the plate amp to keep it outside the speaker enclosure and near the AVR. So i figured that i'd need the binding posts for the THT's connection to the amp, but please let me know if i'm wrong.