or Connect

Posts by phlatwound

I think I have seen them at Circuit City, don't think they have them at Best Buy though. Not sure about where to find the best price, might be hard to beat a local price if you had to pay shipping.
scottmo, approximately where do your in-laws live? I read some reviews on the DTVpal, sounded decent.
Thanks for the info, arxaw. Yes, it is a UHF/VHF antenna...no, I don't think she has a preamp, unless it is in the attic. I've driven through Garfield hundreds of times and didn't realize those towers were near there, 99% of the time has been in the daytime where I couldn't see the tower lights though, wondered where they were. She would really like to get the Springfield locals if possible and really needs a new antenna/splitter/cabling anyway, so I may get her a CM4228...
Went down to my Mom's house (15 miles east of Rogers, AR, near War Eagle Cavern on Beaver Lake) this weekend and hooked up her RCA converter box to see what came up, got some confusing (to me) results. She has a tower with typical old-style large UHF-VHF antenna about 45' in the air (aimed towards the Fordland towers), and for the last 12 years has received KYTV with almost perfect picture, and KOLR fairly well, as well as KBPI Channel 34 (excellent picture). When I...
Got my first chance to observe signal levels during a thunderstorm this morning, was very pleased to see no loss on any of the Springfield locals....in fact I saw KYTV hit 97-98% a time or 2 (it's been a rock solid and steady 92% ever since I hooked the converter box up). All other channels were in the 97-100% range, with no fluctuation. It's amazing how good my signal is considering my antenna is looking directly into a fully leafed-out walnut tree that is 20'...
I'll check out that forum section, thanks, we will probably be looking in the $1,000 range (if the "boss" will approve that much). I want to get something that is not already on the downside of the tech curve, for sure. You brought up a good point earlier that I just picked up on......buying online and not having to pay Sales Tax, plus free shipping to my door, that's probably close to $100 savings right there.
Thanks, MRUSS & arxaw, for the tv shopping tips, I had no idea that those places might negotiate on the prices. What are your thoughts on 720 vs. 1080? Finished the permanent cabling last night, we are now running 3 tvs with analog signal from the CM4228, and 1 tv with digital through a converter box. Going to get 1-2 more converter boxes and 1-2 HDTVs, eventually. Still showing the exact same signal strengths as we had when the was 4228 run temporary straight to...
I mounted the preamp about 2' below my antenna, on the tower...power brick is in my basement next to the splitter. Just one more room to hit with RG-6 from the splitter and the inside is done, still need to get some conduit to go from tower to house, then make the permanent antenna---> preamp---> splitter drop down the tower, getting close now! My signals on the temporary setup have not budged from where they were, this rig should have solid signal in any weather. Time...
I couldn't agree more, this is going to provide the best reception we have EVER had here, and (except for a little equipment expense) it's TOTALLY FREE! Since our reception of OTA analog channels has always been spotty, for the last couple of years we have been watching our network programming from our C-band dish, a Carribean digital mux on Galaxy 16, took a while to get used to seeing commercials in Spanish from the Virgin Islands. There is so much stuff out there...
Is it possible that the preamp could "overdrive" the signal to where it was too hot on the tv input? Splitting it to 4 tvs should attenuate it some, but just in case I will leave enough cable in my setup to pull the amp and power supply out of the line if I need to. I can't say enough good things about Warren, great product/pricing and delivery in less than 48 hours to our place out in the boonies, awesome! Here's pic of today's project, the antenna is looking right into...